Synthetic oil

All,
First, sorry for the cross post, but I regularly read both, and would like to get opinions from both groups.
What I'm looking for is a good, independent comparison of synthetic oils.
Being a believer that anything can be proven if you go in with the "right" attitude, I usually discount manufacturer's comparisons that, surprisingly, prove their product to be the best. This is especially true when you consider that most of the ones I've read compare synthetics with conventional. In following previous posts on synthetics, it appears that most people's recommendations come from their loyalty to the brand, not actual comparisons. Brand loyalty is a great way of seeing how good something is, most people aren't loyal to a product that isn't any good, but, loyalty also can blind some people to shortcomings. So if anyone out there knows where I can find an unbiased comparison, that actually compares apples and apples, please let me know.
Thank you all Enjoy Bill
1996 Chevy K1500 1991 Audi 200TQ
PS Amsoil representatives please don't reply. Your product may be as good as you claim, but I disagree with your marketing tactics, therefore will not support the organization.

Bill, not to be a smart ass but if you are regularly reading "alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks" there are about sixty posts and opinions about synthetic oils in the past 3 months. You might try a search for the subject matter, you're questions may have been answered already.
Brian

And maybe a little info on how to search prior posts would have been helpful??

groups.google.com
or
bobistheoilguy.com
That should get you started.
Brian,
As I said, I have been checking out the groups for quite some time, and especially reading all the posts about synthetic oils. I haven't checked out Google to see if there are posts in groups that could answer this question. From what I've read, and while talking to people, the general response is "use X, that's what I've always used and its never let me down." "X" can be Mobile 1, Valvoline, Quaker State, whatever they use. This is usefull, as if the oil turned to water or sludge after 200 miles, they wouldn't still be using it, but what I'm looking for is an actual comparison, done by Labs Not Affiliated With Anyone, that actually ran tests using the major oils and can say "oil X held it's viscosity better, oil Y kept its additives better, oil Z blew up the engine, etc".
I'm not sure if Nige's response was a slam towards me because of the Amsoil comment, or a comment about brand loyalty, but it really is somewhat appropriate when it comes to the recomendations. I used to work at Valvoline, and heard comments about how someone only ever used Penzoil so they left with getting nothing done (don't ask me why they came in to begin with, it baffled me), or people who thought synthetics were just a scam so the oil change places could make more money at worst, just a waste of money at best (read jdoe's comment to the other synthetic oil post). So, although opinions can be very usefull, they can also be very biased and not very scientifically based.
Enjoy Bill

. . TOP POST
try this....
synth_oil Address:http://users.wirelessfrontier.net/~gsilva/synth_oil.html
also....... try these folks......for all you want to know about oils
Message Boards - Powered by Infopop Address:http://forums.noria.com/6/ubb.x?a rm&si2608715
MarshMonster ~:~ ======== snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (bill) Wrote:
[...]

I'm sorry, I thought that this was "alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks" not "alt.beginners-PC".
And where is all your wisdom?
Brian
No one ever posted an "Independent"
Research article, except the so called independent research article by the Amsoil to paraphrase Doc: "Spammer" did!
Refinish King
PS Why would someone do an independent test, an oil company usually pays for it to make their oil look best!

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html
--
RJ in WV

What do you do if the biggest hammer doesn't work?