Synthetic Oil

Is it worth it to run synthetic oil,or just a waste of money? Any gains in mpg`s? I don`t know much about it.Always ran the regular stuff. Seems like alot of people are switching to synthetic.

Reply to
Bill

I run it in all drive lines in my '99 Silverado. I love the 6k miles oil changes and the fact that it doesn't break down near as easy.. The only thing I've been wondering about ever since i changed my truck over it has seemed to develop some transmission problems (it has 115k on it) so i dunno if it was a result of the syntheic or just chance. other wise diff's and engine have no problems.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

most of the info that I've seen says that you'll have less friction, lower heat and less oil breakdown with heat...

I use it because I can't see what it could hurt, and the longer time between oil changes more than pays for the synthetic and filter.. (I use a Canadian syn and a mobile one filter)

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

Depends on how often you change your regular stuff and how long you intend to keep the vehicle. Syn. definetly works especially on hard working engines such as pulling heavy loads up steep mountain roads and in desert heat. Especially great for air cooled engines too.

Reply to
HRL