Synthetic oil changeover??

I just got my new ride, 2003 avalanche with 5.3 litre. My last truck, 2000 GMC sierra 5.3 litre had the dreaded cold knock start-up, which I presume was piston slap as it seemd to go away in the warmer weather. Now I would
like to run synthetic oil in the new truck to try to keep this piston slap problem at bay but heard that the engine should be broken in with mineral based oil. I can see the reasoning behind this, to allow the rings and bearings to properly seat themselves. Now what would all you guys suggest for the break in period with non synthetic be and what is the changeover procedure(is it simply a drain and replace when going from non to synthetic) All advice will be greatlt appreciated.
Run it to the first oil change and switch to syn. No real break in required on todays engines.
--
Pacifism - The theory that if they'd fed
Jeffrey Dahmer enough human flesh,
Steve W. wrote:

Add to that Corvette's ship from factory with Synth. I don't think they'd put it in the Vette's if it was going to allow damage to occur.
Big Chris

Yes, my wife is eyeing this one, she's a beut, (the wife of course) and the truck.