Tach for testing purposes...

Hi,
I'd like to have a tach for testing purposes and setting idle speed and whatnot, but not necessarily a permanent fixture on the dash. Are the $30 cheapos found at Pep Boys easy to connect and disconnect?
Ideally, I'd like something that just clips onto a plug wire like a timing light to determine the RPMs.
I've seen "dwell" tachs for sale on eBay. Will this do what I need it to?
~jp
I really should do more research before posting... Can I use an inductive pickup (like a timing light uses) to clip onto a plug wire and then somehow read the results with a multimeter?
~jp

to answer your question about the tachs at pep boys it would be hard to use as testing only to just hook up and not mount permanently im not shure about dwell tachs but some of the multi meters come with inductive pick up leads for this purpose i have a blue point meter but they can be costly but check into multi meters you may be able to find one not so costly plus then you could use it for many more testing purposes good luck