Tachometer question

Will a 1969-72 tachometer, the OEM Chevy/GMC one which is designed to be attached to the secondary of the ignition coil, work off the signal lead of an HEI distributor? My aftermarket cruise control does just fine on either, but the tach I picked up from a junkyard several years ago doesn't (just got around to putting it in).

TIA, Pete

Reply to
Pete