Tahoe back seat

Three days ago I was given as a gift an 1997 Chevrolet 1500 Tahoe. It has 95,238 miles on it and it runs extremely well. I live deep in the wilderness, in the canyon lands of Northern New Mexico, and due to ice and snow and mud it has been impossible for me to leave the ranch 4 months out of the year in my Toyota pickup.

With the Chevrolet Tahoe I have tried to get the back seat to fold down flat. It will not lay flat; is that because I somehow cannot figure out how to get it all the way flat, or is it built to always be slightly elevated? I some times camp in the East Mojave, and it would be a great help if I could just sleep in the back of the Chevrolet Tahoe instead of sleeping on top of the vehicle.

Other than that, I have not had a chance to try the vehicle. Maybe I'll go into Santa Fe in a few days when the road is still frozen and she how it does.

Reply to
Desertphile

I owned a 1994 K1500 Suburban (exact same interior....dash is different ) and the 2nd row folded completely flat. The third row would not, but I usually had this removed. I saw a 1996 Tahoe have it's 2nd seat folded flat when I helped a friend load it a Ikea several years back, so, yes, it should. Both of these were captains chair / console models.

Reply to
Augustus

Ah, thank you. So I suppose that means I am doing something wrong. There is no third seat row in my vehicle. It seems like the back seat is too thick to lay flat, but maybe I just need to push on it hard. I noticed the back seat's head rests get in the way of the two front seats. Maybe I'll remove the back seat entirely, and see what that looks like. I sure do hope I can sleep in the back.

Reply to
Desertphile

My 2dr 95 Tahoe rear seat doesn?t lay flat either. The Head rests have been in the basement for the last 10 years. I always attributed the fact that the seat never laid flat, to the foam used in the leather seating.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

I own a '97 Yukon SLT with the 60/40 rear seats and my rear seats lay flat. First you have to do it right. The owners manual explains how. If you have no manual here's the deal. First unlock and remove the headrests then reach down and lift up on the lifting tabs provided for the purpose and pull the rear of the seat bottom up and forward. You will then see where you insert the head rest for storage. Unlock the seatback and fold it down flat. Very nice piece of engineering IMHO. Regards, JR

Reply to
JR

I just checked the owner's manual and it says the seat will *NOT* lay flat. Page 1-8 states the seat will be "... almost flat on the floor." This is a disappointment to me, since I would like to sleep inside the vehicle now and then. I suppose I can unbolt the seat and remove it, and place a sheet of plywood in the back, and build a support for the inside end of the plywood. What a bummer.

Reply to
Desertphile

Unfortunately the owner's manual confirmed that the seat will be "almost flat," but not flat. In fact the end sticks up 6 or 7 inches. If the bottom of the sea were removed I suppose the back of the seat would fold forward and flat.

Reply to
Desertphile

Maybe you could find a seat from a Yukon SLT in a boneyard somewhere. With the rear seat down I can fully stretch out. Odd that GM didn't put those seats in the Tahoe. Regards, JR

Reply to
JR