Tahoe raves or rants

We are looking to upgrade to an SUV and are debating between the Sequoia and the Tahoe/Yukon. I have driven GM cars in the past and hated the little rattles that occurred; our Camry is void of those rattles. Any experiences or opinions to consider? I have always thought GM built better trucks than cars (outside of the Vette). Thanks in advance.

Terry

Reply to
TR

After 30 years of owning only GM cars and trucks I'm driving the last one I'll own, a 99 2500 Chev Suburban. Tired of poor engineering, workmanship and resale value. Stupid stuff breaks and wears out too soon. The list is long. Bought my very first import ( a Toyota Camry) wow so that's what a car is supposed to be like. Quite, smooth, no rattles, very unlike my other cars I have owned. Very soon I'll be shopping for another Toyota, probably a crew cab Tundra. I can't think of a reason I would ever buy a GM again. Sad really.

Good luck, Chuck in Phoenix

experiences

Reply to
Chuck
01 Tahoe LT 4x4 owner here, I did have a rattle above/behind the passenger seat - it was the rear AC ducts, was able to fix it by shoving some cloth up in there. No other rattles. I've had over 20 GM vehicles over the last 30yrs including 4 other fullsize suv's, this Hoe is by far the best. And I am able to easily find aftermarket equipment to make various mods to the engine, sound system, exterior, etc - "fun stuff". The only problems I've had were having to replace both rear power window motors, and the high note horn both under warranty.

I believe the Sequoia is a higher quality product, but not as powerful plus it is slightly smaller inside. That said, if they up their power I would very seriously consider a Toyota or Lexus product in the future.

Reply to
Markeau
1997 Tahoe 4x4 4 door 146,750 Miles and running strong!!!!!!!!!!!!! No rattles or squeaks. If you get it with the right gears, it will be a quick truck too. The only bad thing is the 15 mpg.

experiences

Reply to
mcintyrerj

Chuck, That was my response when we bought our Camry (1996) after owning a Cutlass. The Cutlass engine was great, but the pumps, door handles, windows, etc. would need to be replaced. Thanks for the responses.

Reply to
TR

I am also very AR, which is why I posted the question. I just was hoping GM may put better quality parts in their trucks as opposed to their automobiles. It really is a shame truthfully. . . there is no reason GM could not "do it right". I do like the engine power better in the GM products, but the other shortcomings drive me crazy. These little things do not bother some people (they just turn the radio louder), but I just cannot ignore them. Thanks for the reply.

Terry

Reply to
TR

I've owned a Grand Cherokee, a 4 Runner, and an Explorer over the past 10 years and I can say that my 2000 Tahoe LT 4x4 is by far and away the greatest vehicle I've ever owned. I bought it new and have had virtually no problems. It's smooth ride, great power, and comfort don't compare to anything else I've owned. My Grand Cherokee and Explorer felt like they spent more time in the shop than on the road. While my 1998 4 Runner Ltd. never had any quality problems, it's weak engine and HORRIBLE ride made it unbearable to drive.

My Tahoe is in pretty hard service off-road 4 months a year on my hunting leases and still is tight inside. My only regret was getting it with the barn doors instead of the liftgate.

I personally can't think of another vehicle than I'd rather own than a Tahoe or one of its variations in GMC or Cadillac.

experiences

Reply to
Gregg

Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the barn doors? When I bought my wife's Yukon she wanted one with barn doors or not at all.

Reply to
JR
1999 Tahoe and it is the finest truck i have ever driven. john

1999 Tahoe.

2000 xj cherokee 1989 ford full bronco 1988 xj cherokee 1955 built cj5 and thats now, not the great chevys past. john
Reply to
johnny

I don't care for the "Barn Doors" I would rather the 3 piece rear door. the barn door has a wretched blind spot and they close on eachother.

Reply to
Corey Scheich

experiences

Comparing a GM to a Toyota is like comparing apple to oranges. I drive Chevy trucks and Lexus autos. I've had 4 new trucks in the last 10 years and 2 new Lexus' in the past 6 years. All of the trucks whet back multiple times while under warranty for everything from simple rattles to new transmissions. Neither Lexus has been back for a single thing. Toyota has their act together when it comes to quality and if they built a 3/4 ton truck, I'd be driving it instead of Chevys. With all that said, my opinion is that the GM trucks are better than Ford or Dodge (my opinion only).

Reply to
Larry Bratcher
1) Can't see out when it rains, no wiper. 2) Rains on you while your loading things since there's nothing above you when the doors are open. 3) Have to open two things each time you want to load something big 4) Middle pillar down the middle of your rear view mirror.
Reply to
Gregg

the pillar on a fork lift will hit the door if you ever need to have a palette put in it. I'd assume it would be worse on a full sized truck, it was "just" doable on a 99ish GMC 'S10 blazer' (forget name)) But that also isn't a 'normal' thing for an SUV, but more normal for a truck. The hinges are also a PITA from what I read to take apart....

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

oh yeah that is the other thing. In a northern winter with salt, sand or both it snows once and you can't see out the back at all. I'm talking utility van style. Then when you get to a gas station to wash it you have to wash it twice to get all the dirt off. Does any one know how to minimize the collection of dirt on the back of a barn door truck.

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Same thing with a blazer. The best way to reduce dirt on the back of a big box is to look behind you with the outside rearview mirrors.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

I use Rain-X... keeps the dirt off pretty good when wet

The doors aren't a big deal, I just will get the tailgate next time I buy...

Reply to
Gregg