Tahoe's Spark Plug Wires Self-Destructed

Just went to start the '97 Tahoe. Started easily, but ran very rough and "Check Engine Soon" light came on. At only 82K miles, this vehicle has been
treated and maintained very well.
I was at a complete loss until I popped the hood and noticed the light show the spark plug wires were performing--only on the driver's side. Stopped the engine and saw that there were breaks in several of the wires on the driver's side, two of the wires cut thru completely--not uniformly cut mind you, jaggedly cut.
No other damage visible anywhere. Do not suspect sabotage as tires, windows, paint would be far easier and more likely targets--nor have I pissed off any neighbors in this quiet and reserved neighborhood.
I have never loaned the vehicle out and I was the last to use just the night before.
Car is also always locked in the well lit carport next to the house.
Anyone out there ever heard of spark plug wires just breaking all the way thru on their own?
Forgot to mention that I had a new head gasket put on by the local dealer two months ago, but 2K plus miles of smooth sailing since that time lead me to believe it is nothing related to that repair--unless they damaged the wires on that side and . . . . but obviously I'm reaching here.
Interested in whatever the group might have to share.
thanks in advance,
Ken
Thought about mice? The little critters will get up in there and gnaw on stuff. Happened to one of my cars. Larry

Reply at bottom:

Thanks for the input--no indication of bite marks or missing mouse sized bites. I know what you mean about the little critters though. I've seen them do some surprising things over the years.
Ken
164,000 and still going on the wires from 1990 spend the $50 for a new set

Jagged cuts, sounds like the wires might have been laying on top of the block and damaged when the head was lowered (dropped or flopped) into place on top of them. It sounds like the kind of thing that would happen (along with reversed pistons, rods, bearing shells, 10 minute differentials and fried wiring harnesses) with my kids and their friends and their cars in our old farm shop. Oddly , the one that was too young to "play" in the farm shop at the time grew up to be a HD Mechanic.
Just a thought, it's scary the amount damage an overeager apprentice or careless serviceman can do to customer's vehicles and a shop's reputation before he is found out and sent packing. If you think this may have happened the Shop Servicewriter needs to know and examine the wires to determine if an employee could be responsible for that damage and take corrective measures for you and the business.
Spud