Tail Gate Won't Open

I have a 89 Chevy Step Side, Short Box. Over the past six months or so the tail gate has been getting harder and harder to open til finally this past
week I could not get it to open. I had to use a set of channel lock pliers to squeeze the hinges to help open the gate. It appears that when I go to lift the latch it doesn't move the hinges enough to open the right hand side latch. How in the world does someone get inside the tail gate to fix this problem?

Through the access panel? I believe it's just opposite the latch.
Try spraying WD 40 or PB Blaster into the tailgate using the straw that comes with the can.Spray up into the lift handle as well as around the latches and into the small holes on both sides of tailgate being carefull not to lose the straw in the tailgate and don't be afraid to use plenty and let it set overnite and you might have to do it twice. Gently work the handle back and forth and latches in and out.After it is freed up spray it with a good lube a couple times a year to keep it that way..Wipe off acess oil from painted surfaces.Freed many a tailgait that way.If you can't get it opened to do this try using a long regular screwdriver to pry latches back rather than vicegrips on handle as you will bend it.

I fixed it. The handle was bent. All I had to do was bend it back into place.
Voila.