Tail Light problem on 1989 Chevy

Hello i have replaced my tail light assembly three times. Each with a brand new replacement assembly. The brake/turn signal socket keeps getting burnt then the whole assembly is bad because of one socket. I used some dielectric greese on the socket and this still happens. The new assembley lasts for about a month then goes bad but just the turn/brake light. Could anyone help me on this thanks

Confused in Indiana

Reply to
isaac capshaw

I would like to know the answer to your question myself. I also have an

1989 chevy truck. I had turn signal trouble for a long time. Then I lost tail and brake. I also had to replace the light assembly. the old assembly got hot and burnt up. The middle bulb on both sides of my new assembly will not light. I have brake, turn, tail, back-up. I think the light that will not light is the upper half of the tail and brake. Replacing as many light assemblies as you have, has to getting exspensive. I think mine was like 35.00 dollars per side. Anyway, goodluck, I will also be watching your post for an answer. 8hawg>>>
Reply to
8hawg

did you get the same brand assembly? some of them i have found to be made really cheep! grote is a good brand i have found the other thing to look for is how good are your grounds? or ground wires bad grounds will melt sockets let me know what you find hope this helps

Reply to
helly

Reply to
jtnelson1123

Has anyone checked to make sure you dont have too much power going to these things? It stands to reason with me, that if it is getting hot then there is too much power coming to the bulb. Also has anyone checked to see if there is a short possibly between the power and ground? If both sides are getting power, then it would act like a heater and just start burning everything up.

Reply to
pkurtz2

I've got to go with the ground theory myself. I have an '86 Silverado and used to have an '89 and the ground setup was similar on both models... Chincy! The ground wire leads to a screw that screws into the body sheetmetal of the truck. These screws corrode and the screw holes strip out over time. It may be necessary to extend your ground wire and place it in a better location. Use a continuity meter to find a good ground location and relocate the screw.

Reply to
Bruce Clevenger

Hello I have checked my ground and it is fine. I am on my fourth taillight assembly and it seems to be working fine. I have had it almost a month now and it is still good. Maybe this time i wont burn the socket. I did have to replace the brake/turn bulb on it cause on of the filements (sorry cannt spell no spell checker) broke in it. I just think i had cheaply made light assemblies I do suggest using some kind of bulb greese on them makes them last a little longer. Thanks for all the tips i did forget about the ground untill i read some of the postings here. Thanks for the help

Reply to
isaac capshaw