tailgate mounting question, 95 k1500

The truck had a contractor cap for 10 years and no tailgate. Now that I've bought the hardware and gate, I have found that the mounting holes are quite
rusted as well as the metal sub layer which has the welded nuts attached is so badly rusted as to be peeling off and in one corner actually missing. The rest of the bed metal, both inside and out, is still good. Is there any way to replace just the section between the taillights and the hinges without doing the whole corner?
TIA, Eric