Tailgate repair

Hi all,
I ordered the new parts that attach my tailgate to the truck. It's the pivot points that are bad. Both the body cup and the tailgate section that fits into the cup. I've never removed a tailgate before
and was wondering if anyone had advice on the best way to do it and what to watch out for? It's a 98 chevy 1/2 ton.
Thanks
Dan
What me worry? wrote:

It's REALLY difficult to do.
Open the gate, Release the stop cables. Now lift the gate to about a 45 degree angle and pull out/up on the passenger end of the gate to release it. Then pull the other end loose.
TaDa the gate is off.
If it takes you longer to read what I wrote than to remove the gate, Sell the truck...
Now unbolt the pivots and install the new ones. Then reverse the process to put the gate back on.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
backed into a tree whilst ridin inna park then wrote:

Smart ass! Thanks for the laugh.
I think I can manage that. About the only other thing I haven't removed and or installed is a rear end so I think I can manage it. Always like to double check before I do sumtin new to me.
Dan
Actually just looking at it would have demonstrated what the process was!

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 08:04:03 -0500, What me worry?
wrote:

In case anyone is wondering...Yea it's done. The bolts weren't the only thing holdin the gate portion on. They were also welded and I had to drill the center of the weld out to remove the brackets. No biggie, just hard on the hands. Degenerative arthritis has done a number on them.
Dan
On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 20:08:37 -0500, What me worry?

You forgot to tell him that when it comes off, it's heavy and can crush a person. If he gets crushed, you will be sued by his attorney. I hope you paid your usenet liability insurance !!!!
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 02:29:50 -0600, Robert
park then wrote:

Not!