TBI 305 : More Power?

How would I go about wringing a bit more power out of my '88 K1500 TBI 305?

Short of scrapping it and going with a new power plant.....

Reply to
<xxxxx

Try some headers, throttle body spacer, k & N, tornado, these all add very little hp, but when combined you might notice a 10+ hp increase.

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

Headers = great suggestion TB Spacer = debateable K & N = garbage Tornado = Waste of Money

The headers alone (if they are long-tube with a decent set of mufflers) should give him 15-20 HP.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I have a K & N and a tornado on my truck and it has helped with fuel milage, maybe not horsepower but fuel milage, K & N also helped with fuel milage.

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

..........and has significantly shortened the life of your engine at the same time.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

How so? How can something that restricts less air flow and something that swirls the air flow reduce the life of my engine? Just curious

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

that would be because the K&N lets through a shitload of dirt.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

People don't seem to realize that you can't let more air through without letting thru lots of other shit with it. The solution to airflow problems is a bigger air filter, not a see-thru cotton piece of shit covered in oil.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Neve really thought of it that way.

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

Neve really thought of it that way.b Thanks for pointing that out. Any good filters that you recommend?

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

I use a 10" Edelbrock open-element chrome filter housing with a Purolator A43195 air filter and have had great results. This is on a slightly modified 88' 305 TBI, C1500. Definite improvement over the stock air housing and filter.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I have a 4.3 Liter in my S-10 with a box filter, if I did anything, it would have to be an air charger being there is no clearance under the hood near the thorttle body.I could get a k and n charger and use a different filter

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

Just remove the "silencer" from the stock airbox and stick with the rectangular filter (dunno the Purolator Part # offhand).

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Silencer as in my K & N? What about that new Fram "Air Hog", same difference? I'll check purolators web site.

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

No, there's a baffle in your airbox that "silences" the incoming airflow, thereby making the intake quieter (no sucking or whoosing sounds). This restricts airflow.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I havent seen any baffle in the air box, just that tube that runs behind the head light from the front of the air box. I took that off beause I was going to reroute that so it would actually pull cooler air in. I did remove that honey comb like mesh from the mass air flow sensor, it seems to have helped with fuel milage a lot.

Reply to
Kiel Uyttenhove

ever thought of adj the timing,da, 305 is at o btdc un hook timing connecter and time at 10 btdc, hook back up connecter and shut off restart and there you go 20 horse power, if it pings back it down to 8 btds,but i never had any ping problems, i went as far as 14 btdc with out any problems , and its a new truck

Reply to
Jeff Guenther

1) Seeing as how they didn't make the 305 after 2000, it can't be "new." 2) 10* BTDC is WAY too much. 4-6* BTDC is as high as I'd go.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

But the new TPI trucks do have timing more like a carb, way up there. But then I think stock is 14* even then...

Oh well, I didn't like the post either. I say just pull your dizzy, find TDC on the exhaust stroke and re-install. It's much more fun to watch the fire come out the throttle body than out the zoomies....

GMC Gremlin

Reply to
GMC Gremlin

You're confused. The TBI trucks will idle at 12-14* BTDC, but this is with BASE timing set at 0*. Base timing is zero, ECM bumps it up to 12-14*. So, with BASE timing set to 14* BTDC, ACTUAL timing at hot idle would be 26-28* BTDC, which is WWWWAAAAYYYY too high.

The new trucks run in much the same way, with base set to 0* or 'zero camshaft retard offset' and the ECM does the rest. Timing on the newer trucks isn't as tweakable as it is with the older TBI systems as the SES light comes on when you mechanically advance the timing.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"