TCI stall converter 1986 GMC 4x4

As a newbie in transmissions, what does lockup and non-lockup mean when referring to a stall converter. If a non-lockup converter is put on a lockup tranny (or vice-versa) what would the affects be, if any??

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Reply to
seads

A locking converter in a non locking tranny will not lock up. A non locking conveter kinda locks up hydraulically after you pass stall speed but it will still have a 5 to 7% slippage factor and waste a bit of fuel. Which 86 tranny are we talking about?

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

A lockup converter as I understand it....when it locks up it basically turns 1 to 1 with the engine. Thus reducing heat and slippage = fuel economy to some degree.

A non-lockup converter.... never locks up or matches the engine rpm directly so in essence it always slips to some degree (old school converters on turbo 350 and 400 trans) were non-lockup type.

Most all new torque converts are the locking type.

I'm not sure what the effects would be if you put a non locking converter on a transmission that supposed to have a locking converter. I don't think much would happen on he 700 series GM transmissions. I do expect you would have problems on newer cars / trucks where the PCM / ECM controls the transmission.

Seems like the fluid would be "hotter"....

Just my opinion... I'm no transmission guy.

I'd be very careful about stall converters and proper selection to match your vehicle / operational purpose. Stall converters can really put out a lot of heat.

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert