Technique For Lubing Door Hinges?

'98 Burb.
Everything's right there, and I can smear grease on it...but can't get the creaking to go away. Seems like there SB some technique to get the grease to
penetrate to where it's actually needed.
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

I find the creaking comes more from the little spring wheel that makes it hold at the 1.2 open and hull open point.

grease to

Oil?
--
Dave
'87 Chevy Pick Up... (nice)
(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

RE/

I dripped a little bicycle chain lube in there and overnight the creak has subsided to a sort of dull click.
About 110k, *lots* of entries/exits on the driver's side...so I'm guessing it's just worn...and looking at it, I'm also guessing I don't want to go there replacement-wise.
--
PeteCresswell

Pete:
A good way to test the bushings for wear is to: Open the door part way, grab the rear of the door and lift up on it. If there is a noticeable amount of play. The bushings are gone, and it is something you can do yourself.
You'll have to buy a tool or two, but you'll use them forever most likely. So they would be money well spent, considering a shop gets $65.00 to $120.00 to do each door. If you have play, and need advaice.
Please don't hesitate to get in touch with me.
Refinish King

I had a local body & fender guy replace the hinge bushings and pins on one door for $40. I thought thzt was fair.

That was more than fair!
He was a really nice guy!
Send him cookies for Christmass. I never go higher than $60.00 my self. But, the local competition quotes as high as $120.00 plus tax, and I never pay more than $15.00 for parts and welding materials if the holes get egg shaped.
Refinish King

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

Actually the replacement of the bushing is fairly easy with the right tools. I made a bushing press out of a small C clamp to install the bushings. I use a engine hoist with a couple of ratchet cargo straps to hold up the door. It takes me a couple of hours to do.

American Grease Stick made a product called Dripless Oil. It goes on like water, and then evaporates to a thick lube that stays put. Was the best lube for the old VW exposed door hinges. It came in spray cans and regular cans like 3-in-One Oil. Have not seen it around in Tucson, but it was available in St. Louis.
Al