Temp sender...

Since I pulled all the wiring out to replace it, I can't remember where the temperature sensor is.
I thought it was the one on top of the intake manifold, behind the
upper radiator hose neck, but when I plugged it in, the gauge just pegged, so I'm assuming that's not it. That the temp "switch", correct? I understand it was used by the ESC/ECM.
Thanks,
~jp

You are haalf right. that one is for ECm but it is a thermocouple too. You want the one on the drivers side head for gauge. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Couldn't find it... Is it supposed to be between the #1 and #3 exhaust pipes below the manifold?
I found something there, but the connector for it was weird--like it was round, and not a flat "blade"-style connection. The connection I have for the temp gauge is a female and needs to plug into a male blade connector.
~jp
SnoMan wrote:

You have the old style sending unit that has a round head that a connector slides over and on to. You need to change it to the new style if you want to retain your connector type. Sound like a old engine than came in truck.

The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Well again, the engine is 2 years old... the mechanic that did the swap could've put in the old sender from the 305...
OR...
The donor wiring harness could have the wrong connector. I don't recall what year of Suburban that Shades pulled the harness out of. More than likely, it's just the harness that has a different connector.
But good to know that I found it.
Thanks,
~jp
SnoMan wrote:

Be sure it's not a knock sensor, it usually has a round "clip-on" plug, down by the starter motor possibly

I believe my knock sensor (which is now unused) is on the back of the engine...
~jp
Battleax wrote:

It should be in the block drain hole on lower passanger side of engine ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
Well it's not going to anything now... so I'm not worried about sensing knock. ;-)
~jp
SnoMan wrote:

I cannot say I blame you at all. I would not if I was building a performance engine because I would want total control of timing and curve. ----------------- The SnoMan www.thesnoman.com
I'm planning my digitally-controlled timing "on the cheap" setup right now, and a knock sensor isn't part of the equation.
~jp