test 4wd?

Can I test a 4wd by jacking all 4 wheels off the ground and then checking the drive shafts as I put it in and out of 4wd? Even though I hear the relays clicking and the electric motor moving underneath, I don't think the
front wheels are locking up in 4 Hi.
Its more fun to go find some mud, not too deep though, come to a complete stop, hang your head out the window so you can see the front tires, then stomp the gas pedal. (be ready for a face full of mud if it works)

That's what got me on this kick in the first place...14" of snow last Friday here in Charlotte NC (75 degrees today!). When I got stuck, the back wheels would spin like crazy, but the front ones never did...and I had to do the old back and forth rocking number to get out of the snow. Sure didnt' look or act like 4wd to me. Thanks for the reply.

14 inches? WOW i feel cheated we didnt get that much here in raleigh
Yeah mine does the same thing. I have posi on the rear axle and the slightest touch on the gas pedal on a slick surface starts the rear wheels spinning. They spin real good on dry pavement too <grin>.
One time, I got stuck playing around on some ice where the water had frozen on a parking lot. I couldn't move, because the rear wheels were spinning even at idle. I had to push the emergency brake down about two of three clicks to put just enough brake pressure on the rear wheels to stop the spin and let power go to the front axle.
I have had to use this emergency brake trick twice, when I got stuck in extra soft sand on the beach. I got stuck then because I took my foot out of it and the tires sunk. I don't know if this trick will work in mud or not. It should, but I don't take my beautiful Chevy in mud, that is what my old rusted out Bronco is for.
--
Diamond Jim
"The Old Devil Dog"

I got great tires. They are Michelin 285/70-16 w/"Run Flat" inserts. You never know when I might have to escape from terrorist, assassins, kidnappers, law enforcement, or my wife.
--
Diamond Jim
"The Old Devil Dog"

Wider tires look really nice,but you wanna stay with something more narrow,especially if you do any off road driving.
Silly question from a n00b, but why are narrower tires better for off road driving?
Brandonb
Bill S wrote:

If your driving in deep snow,sand mud,whatever the case may be, wider tires seem to push more,where as a tire that is more narrow,seems to cut through better.
1/4 Mile Junkies
Depends what your trying to drive on. It's hard to use skinny tires to get through 2 feet of snow, but big balloon tires can ride on that snow. I'm a fan of the big tires myself, and my father a fan of the tall skinny. I think it also has allot to do with your driving style.
~KJ~

Brandon Buckner wrote:

concrete trucks, bad for pickup trucks.                             Remo
<<<Wide tires tend to "float" on soft or wet surfaces, great for 80,000 lb. concrete trucks, bad for pickup trucks>>>
ken goes to bicycle shop for 4 new tires... : -)

move, if it feels like it's catching or binding up it's engaged.
Adair
Get the truck in some gravel, engage the rear parking brake, shift into 4 wheel high and give it some throttle. The front wheels should spin easy in the gravel as the rear wheels are being held by the parking brake. Just give it enough throttle to spin the front wheels.
Brian