the love/hate of buying a new truck...

....i just know that even if i get a $32K truck down to $20K, as i drive off the lot the salesman and his manager with be hi-5'ing and saying "sucker"!

well, its not that bad of course, but still! does anyone know of a general rule of thumb for about how much the salesman should come off the sticker??

the sticker is put on be the factory i assume, so it is unlikely to be forged.

i visited the guy i bought my current 1500 z71 one from, a '94 with

232K miles, original owner. he is still at the dealership, and now is fleet manager. a $32K truck with the $2500 rebate ended up being about $27,900. seems ok to me. go to another dealer for additional selection and the guy there does all the old tricks - tries to bump me off my funding (35 yr member at same credit union) with the old "what if i can get you a lower payment" crap - sure, lower payment but 6 yr payout vs 4. then he brings the sales manger in and i HATE that because they try to make you feel guilty for not buying RIGHT THEN.

needless to say, i am not going back there. a few years back when buying my wifes expedition we did the consumer report pricing, and that seemed to be an ok deal.

anyway, i will do fine, i am a veteran of this, i just felt like i had to vent. i feel better now.. ;-)

david

surfgeo

David,

I've always felt pretty comfortable with going to edmunds.com and getting their true market value price and then trying to beat it at the dealership, seems I've always been happy with my deal, even afterwards when talking with others who give you the "but i got mine for..." you know the type :). Anyways, try that out, recently my wifes best friend was buying a used jetta(2 yrs old) thought she got a great deal. My wife jumps on edmunds and sees that tmv is about 1800 lower. So her friend(who hadn't signed anything yet, was due to that day) called back and told them that... so they came back 3 times with lower offers until they actually hit the target she was looking for, 1800 in her pocket... just my .02 but I spend a lot of time researching things before I buy and I've found that edmunds is pretty fair.

Ed

Reply to
89GMC

There's no reason you shouldn't be able to go to edmunds.com or kbb.com and get the invoice price.

You should be able to buy at invoice minus factory rebates.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Kulp

thanks guys, thats what i have been doing - research.....however i am now lwaning toward the nissan titan, ugly interior not withstanding. still have a '96 silverado tho... ;-)

dcg

Reply to
surfgeo