The Windshield & Rearview Mirror Saga

My son through a baseball in the car knocking the rearview mirror off the windshield.
Now get this... The adhesive between the baseplate and the windshield did not fail; the glass did.
To be accurate, 2/3 of the adhesive between the baseplate and the windshield did fail, but 1/3 did not resulting in a dime-size piece of windshield still attached to the baseplate.
I assume the best adhesive to re-attach the baseplate-to- windshield surface is still rearview mirror adhesive, but what is the best adhesive to re-attach the glass-to-glass surface?
Thanks!
Joe Colella snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com
As a sculptor, I have found glasss to be difficult to use adhesive. Isocyanide (super glue) may work for a while, but the smallest microscopic size air bubble will become a small hydrogen bomb when heat causes expansion. If you have comprehensive insurance, I'd use instant windshield. Call your agent and have someone come to your vehicle and replace the windshield. That is the only permanent fix. Some windshield repair companies use a vaccuum to draw the epoxy through a small hole . I would call my insurance agent. Although, I DO UNDERSTAND, being short on money...