things I hate about my 99 Silverado, extra cab 4x4

Page 2 of 2
Sorry but I have to disagree to a certain extent Gary. Crumple zones in modern cars and trucks are designed to channel the energy of the impact around the passenger compartment instead of imparting it on the occupant(s).
Some are designed to channel, some to absorb, but in the end it results in a slower deceleration of the occupant to the final stop that saves lives. Mass only helps in comparison, right up to the point you hit something more massive that yourself - like the planet!
Cheers - Jonathan
--
Acta Non Verba - Deeds Not Words
Lieutenant Jonathan Race, EMS Supervisor

It's for the same reason as the 0.08 DUI limit
Gov. George 'Show me the money' Ryan was in bed with the MADD crowd
The head asshole of the MADD-ers, was from around here............his daughter was killed by a drunk on July 4th back in the late 70's......77 I think....anyway, old George got involved in the MADD scam and has milked it for all he could, drawing a hefty salary all these years.

I was thinking about that. After letting a friend of mine drive my truck (85 K5), and her getting in an accident (hitting her own car [96 sunfire], which I was driving... ) She had a $1500 repair bill, from a tech school teacher. Bent bumper reinforcer (very technical name, what's it called?), destroyed light bar, trunk, and a slightly bent rear right quarter. I have a bent chrome bracket on the front corner of the left fender.
After all of this I have formulated a new theorem about crush zones.
I dun need 'em. You got 'em.
~KJ~
Well, KJ - if you're gonna have your wrecks at 10 mph you don't understand what crush zones are for. I suppose the same wreck with a F450 wouldn't have caused as much damage either. So go have a head on at 50 mph! The car still get destroyed, but the crush zone might save your life. There's no way to keep repair bills down in newer models but when its life or death, the crush zones are worth it. .

Good assumption that she had driven into the back of her car at no less than 20-25MPH because she wasn't paying attention at all, and I was at a dead standstill... But you know all! All bow!
And yes, I understand what crush zones are for. Did you know that the transmission in F1 cars is even designed with crumple zones? And ontop of that it has a graphite crumple-zone bumper? No, I don't understand at all what crush zones are. All I understand is, there is reasonable safety in saying, I don't need them, because you've got them.
Now here is the best way to turn it around. What if I was in an accident so catastrophic that it made my truck look like it had crumple zones? I'll tell you one thing, a tractor could do that in a heart beat on a 55MPH 2-way highway. Most likely we would both be going 60MPH, so a nice 120MPH crash, me definitely loosing in the mass category. Now, where would I be in a civic? Spread in a fine film over his windshield. In my K5? Probably internal hemorrhaging, bruises from all the random crap in my truck, broken nose from my steering wheel, maybe broken or bruised shins, out of a ride... but probably alive. I would have to say, it's more like what do you want to survive?
I mean, I'm one here who thinks we drive on the correct side of the road, but that all of our steering wheels are on the wrong side. About 90% of the time I drive alone, so on a head on it's most likely just the passenger side, so now I'm quite a bit safer. Would I want to go head on with another '85 K5, no. How many other trucks like mine are there? Not enough for me to worry.
Also, just for my $0.02 it's just stupid not to wear your seat belt. But I think it's 10x dumber to tell me I MUST wear mine. If I want to help with over population by not wearing my belt, MY CHOICE, FUCK OFF AND DIE. Please just die or get fixed - if you breed your children will only be worse. (Just to make sure, this is not directed at anyone is this thread - just venting)
~KJ~

My 96 gauge is the same way. 220 miles on the first half tank and 100 miles on the last half. And when full, the needle goes about 1/4 tank past full. (22 gallons at refill and works out to about 14mph city/hwy) Empty line means Empty (maybe 1 or 2 gal. remaining) on my truck. I know a 94 & 95 that behave in the same manner as well.
To GM: Just make it what it is, Full line represents Full and calibrate the damn thing so that it accurately represents mileage and quantity. (i.e. Why does the gauge indicate 1/2 tank and I only have 8 gallons actually remaining in my 24 gal. tank - the first half took 14 gallons?)
--

Chris
My Site http://www.ouborn.com

I still love my '99 Silverado, even though I've had to fix a few of the first model year problems. Only had to replace one DRL, and the dealer picked up that bill. Had the rattling steering shaft that needed grease. Mostly small stuff...until now. What I thought was the 4WD switch going out turns out to be some module that costs $350.00. Another $150.00 for diagnostic and labor, and I'm looking at a $500.00 bill.
@sneakemail.com says...