Time for a new rig

Have have a '95 2500 4x4 with 5.7 extended cab with 260k miles. Thinking maybe it's time to start looking for a new rig, pull boat that is about 4,000 pounds and live in area that will be in the
mountains and do enjoy getting off the beaten path on occasion. Don't really need a p/u any more so am flexible, maybe a suv style.
Suggestions as I am not familiar with the new engines and models as to where a good starting point would be.

Diesel or gas? I think at 4000lbs your ripe for a diesel. Better fuel economy too. O wait that rules out a Chevy, dang. Touareg? 406lbs of torque.
Avalanche is nice, 5.3l 355lbs. Tahoes and Burbs too big for you?
Cheers

The Tahoe is a smaller than the Avalanche by a foot and an half....the Suburban is the same size. Basically same chassis on all three. The new body Tahoe is 202 inches long, Avalanche is 221 inches long, and the Suburban is 219 inches.

Thanks for advice, I think the Tahoe sounds like a good choice, will go check them out after I see my Dr in January. Seems like my cancer thing is not over yet. If it is back, will buy on credit, if not will pay cash..