timing a 4.3 vortec v-6 code w???

Page 1 of 2
I am having trouble getting the timing on zero on the crank damper it runs best retarded what do i have to do to get it timed to zero on the damper???? thank you

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 01:09:40 -0400, "shiferbrains"

Be nice to know a year and model. On some trucks with that engine you had to disconnect an electrical connector or ground a terminal in the ALDL to disable the computer before you set the actual timing. -- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Yes and some newer models cannot be even manually timed either. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
sorry i did not include the year of the vehicle it is the 93 jimmy with the 4.3 votec code w engine that i cannot get timed what do i disconnect if anything or where do i use a jumper thank you to the responses i got that helped me to give more info and ask other questions to clerify my problem
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 02:43:14 -0400, "shiferbrains"

I think you're referring to the EST (Electronic Spark Timing) connector, which must be disconnected prior to setting your timing with a timing light...
this is a single wire connector, wire is tan with a black stripe...depending on your ignition system it is located under the heater box inside the passenger compartment or right next to the distributor on the firewall...
the correct timing for your truck should be located on the sticker on top of the radiator or fan shroud... -- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Not sure they actually called it EST that year but they did when it first came out on 305 around 83. I will give you a tip to wake engine up some if you want to. When you disconnect lead mentioned above, set timing to 4 to 6 BTDC and run 89 octane minimum are set it to 8 to 10 BTDC and use 93 and not only will it run better and will improve MPG more than enough to offset fuel cost increase. Been doing that for many years with my 89. If you stick with 87 it limits potentail a lot and TDC or less base advance is about all you can ever run. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Yes, GM called it EST.

Nope. 83 would have still been a mechanical/vacuum advance distributor with ESC. The 305 didn't get EST until 1987 when the fuel system went EFI. Prior year V8s back to 1981 had ESC only, not EST.

Pollutes the air and brags about it.

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 04:45:23 GMT, aarcuda69062

T'was quite common on the older TBI motors to bump the timing 3 or 4 degreees. You can't go too far or the computer complains, but 3 or 4 degrees will wake those motors up quite a bit...without affecting emissions...it's still a closed loop system that can adjust itself. -- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

I found that it will go a lot more than that if you use better fuel and still easily pass Echeck. Dumping 87 octane is a must do with those TBI engines if you want them to respond well to timing changes. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

T'was quite common in 1975 to break off the plastic caps and run the idle mixture screws out a few turns until the exhaust stunk like a sulphur pit. There's fixes and then there's half-assed back yard hack fixes.

You guys must have some whimpy emissions checks. In this state, two degrees makes way to much NOx.
aarcuda69062 wrote:

Now why do you suppose they did that?

Usually "half-assed back yard fixes worked well.

You live in a totalitarian state.

Because they didn't know any better. Just like you.

Probably, if that's all you're capable of.

Maybe. So, where do you draw the line at which laws you obey and which you don't? Cost? Convenience? Expedience? Personal preference? Risk of being caught? Risk of injury to others? Risk of injury to self?
Neil Nelson wrote:

You know nothing about me.

What works well works well regardless of how much or how little the person making them knows. But your petty little comment is only stupid and argumentative and as such your comment is insignificant.

All of the above along with a personalized sense of morality coupled with some common sense. Don't try to speak of laws as though they're always "right" because they aren't. Anyone who blindly obeys laws simply because they're there is an idiot.

I know that you're a weenie.
At 11:16 you plonked me. Now you're replying to me. Seems as if you like to use words without any understanding of what they mean.

No not insignificant. Actually, this whole little sub-set points out the trait that you and Snojob share; that you're both too stupid to realize how stupid you are. Dumb and Dumber.

IOWs, your typical sociopath.

Where did I do that? Matter of fact, where in any of this did I indicate agreement with the laws in question?

And anyone who blindly ignores them is paying fines or in prison or dead or headed towards all three.
Anyone that breaks an anti-tampering law,
with a potential 50K fine is an idiot!
Nuff Said!
RK

You obviously don't give a shit about:
What your children, and grandchildren:
Eat Drink Breath.
Piss off shade tree grease monkey!
RK

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 23:22:49 GMT, aarcuda69062

Where I live now, in Arkansas, no checks at all. However, prior to '93 I was in SoCal. I was also a licensed smog tech out there. -- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

That's all well and good but, things have changed drastically since 1993, especially concerning emissions systems on cars/trucks and the way that they're being tested.
I'm not trying to put you down OC, but I see late 80s early 90 GM TBI trucks almost weekly that fail NOx testing and it's simply a matter of re-setting the ignition timing to where it's supposed to be.
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:15:07 GMT, aarcuda69062

No offense taken. You hit upon one of the very reasons I live in Arkansas now instead of California. Too many people, too many drugs, too much loss of personal freedom. You can have it, I don't want it.
If the truck was mine, I'd retard it back to specs for the inspection and then advance it afterwards. -- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

I think you're missing the hypocrisy here that is Snomans trademark. He is so critical about NOx in other post and is sooo worried about global warming but when the subject is engine timing he no longer gives a sh*t.
Oh and I'm still wondering why "133 lb ft" wasn't correct for the "Caliper Bracket to Knuckle Mounting Bolts" on a 2000 Blazer.
Snojob Quote: "When I am clearly in error I will admit it while others do not so they are never wrong in their mind anyway." -Snoman (Oct 17 2006)
I guess the YellowSnoman is to busy firing off wrong answers to admit they were wroing...
----------------------------------- Snojob Follies: SBJ: Dumb brake question http://tinyurl.com/2ya3wo