Tire Recommendations - 2001 Tahoe

Page 1 of 2
Anyone have any great tire recommmends for a 2001 Tahoe that is used for horse trailering in the Northeast pulling a 3000 pound load? Looking for something that is great in rain especially. All replies gratefully
received...
Thanks.......Art

As far as stock size tires go I'm partial to Toyos. They hold up well off road, have adequate load ratings, and the best part is they wear like iron. My old man's been running them on his 3/4 ton Silverado for 15-20 years and he's abused the hell out of them and never had a complaint.

for
for
My '99 Yuk had a set of Toyo Open Country's on it when I bought it. Those tires were the worst hydroplaning POS I've ever had the bad luck of driving on. Good tire in the dry but hit the slightest puddle and you felt like you where in a Escort with baldies on it. BFG A/T on it now, a little harder ride but wet / snow grip is leagues ahead.
--
John
"Anything you say can & will be misquoted & used against you"

There isn't a question or an option.. take a look at Michelin product line. Nobody builds a better tire. I've got LTX A/T's on mine but if you're never off road you'll probably prefer something like the Cross Terrain or the LTX M/S... I had a set of those on my 2000 Tahoe before my A/T's... Nothing will come close to traction, ride or wear as Michelins...

I'll second the LTX.

Me two or three!

House wrote:

Goodyear GSA

"Get Stuck Anywhere"...at least that's what the Jeep guys call 'em. Used to be stock tires on the Wrangler's. -- Old Crow "Yol Bolson!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '95 YJ Rio Grande BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Old Crow wrote:

I've pretty well settled on the BFG ATs (235/85R16) on my truck. They perform well in well, all terrain, pavement, snow, dirt, mud, etc., have reasonable service life and aren't too expensive (7 at a pop is still $$).

BFG AT KO's on my '99 Yukon. 50k miles, 6/32nd's of tread left on them. New measurement was 16/32. No complaints, still have good snow grip at less than 1/2 worn. Never had any issues with any BFG tire I've owned.
I'll second the GSA's comment, had them on a S blazer. They suck, hydroplane on slush easy too......
i also run BFG ATS on my 1999 tahoe and 1989 ford bronco and 2000 jeep xj cherokee absolutly the best tire for the price in my applications OF ROCK, MUD AND HIGHWAY.
old john
Hello, Pete! You wrote on Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:04:48 GMT:
PC> Old Crow wrote: ??>>
??>> ??>>> House wrote: ??>>>> On 2003-11-16 15:59:19 -0500, "Martin Riddle"
??>>>> said: ??>>>> Me two or three! ??>>>>> I'll second the LTX. ??>>>>>
??>>>>>
I have a 2004 Yukon and am still running the original tires, Firestone Wilderness LE, and have over 62,000 miles on them. Will be putting new ones on soon and am reading all your recommendations. I plan to go back to the Firestones unless I read something that changes my mind.
I pulled a 10 x 12 trailer from Texas to Ohio several times and it was loaded to the hilt with our furniture. Also drove thru the snow storm in Cincinnati around Christmas a year or two ago and have no complaints. We did as good as any 4 wheel drive. I can't say enough about the Yukon or the tires.

10 X 12 is over width where I am from. Steve
The trailer I pulled is a 6 x 12. Didn't proof read it well enough. sorry.

House wrote:

I still prefer the Goodyear Workhorse Extra Grips... i run these on every vehicle big enough now... they wear so well, and have such a good tread...

Have you checked out the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor? Similar to the regular Wrangler, but add a Kevlar belt and has a different tread design. Goodyear rates it quieter with better traction under all condition than the regular Wrangler tires. I put a set on my '06 Duramax dually last month.
Ron

I'm pretty happy with my Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO's.