Tires, Alaska & gravel roads

Our 2003 Sierra 1500 towing a pop-up camper will be driving from WV to AK this summer. We will be on a lot of gravel, back-country roads in Alaska. We
will replace our tires before we leave...any suggestions?

BFG AT/KO LT-rated tires.
Doc

need it before getting back to town :-)
Bob
"Bob" said:

And Mel replies:
Yep Bob, that is the plan. We'll have 4 brand new ones on the ground and 2 mounted spares.
Thanks
Mel

Mel,
You may want to find out which tire places also have outlets in AK and buy from one of those places.. just in case.
Alaska is wonderful! Especially in the summer!

Absolutely agree with Doc. BFG A/Ts

wear. I love them!
-Bret

problems? I have always thought they were good looking tires but a set I had on my 81 Toyota didn't get but about 30,000 and it was a light truck with 31-10.50's. They were the less aggressive All Terrain TA's
On Thu, 20 May 2004 23:26:55 -0400, Bob Muse

I've got 12,000 on mine and zero wear, a co-worker of mine has a 5 year old set on his truck that still have about 50% of the tread. I fully expect 60,000miles out of them. the key is keeping your front end up to snuff.
-Bret

Take extra wheel bearings and greast for the pop-up. Lynn
Lynn said:

Mel replies:
A fine idea I had NOT thought of. I was planning on putting new HD tires on camper. I'll carry spare bearings also.
Thanks,
Mel

wheel bearing kits and a can of grease that he carried... We never had to use them on the road, but it was sort of comforting to know that they were there..
A friend took an RV caravan over the Alaskan Hiway a few years ago and said that the price included a service truck to change and/or repair tires.. he said every one needed at least 1 change on the trip..
Mac
I like my new Toyo Open Country AT LT's - aggressive lug, quiet ride, good mileage

i have the same tires toyo and love them.
A few years ago we drove as far up as the start of the Alcan Highway just to see the Northern Lights....From what I read beforehand, expect a cracked windshield with lots of slow RV's and trailers on two lane roads in Summer......It was a long, snowy, cold drive North in March
nope, only bf goodrich at john