Tires, Alaska & gravel roads

Our 2003 Sierra 1500 towing a pop-up camper will be driving from WV to AK this summer. We will be on a lot of gravel, back-country roads in Alaska. We will replace our tires before we leave...any suggestions?

Reply to
Mel

BFG AT/KO LT-rated tires.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Also consider 2 spares instead of the traditional 1 spare. You just might need it before getting back to town :-)

Bob

Reply to
Bob

And Mel replies:

Yep Bob, that is the plan. We'll have 4 brand new ones on the ground and 2 mounted spares.

Thanks

Mel

Reply to
Mel

Take extra wheel bearings and greast for the pop-up. Lynn

Reply to
Lynn

Mel replies:

A fine idea I had NOT thought of. I was planning on putting new HD tires on camper. I'll carry spare bearings also.

Thanks,

Mel

Reply to
Mel

Mel,

You may want to find out which tire places also have outlets in AK and buy from one of those places.. just in case.

Alaska is wonderful! Especially in the summer!

Reply to
Celica Dude

yeah.. we had a tent trailer for years... the previous owner gave us 2 wheel bearing kits and a can of grease that he carried... We never had to use them on the road, but it was sort of comforting to know that they were there..

A friend took an RV caravan over the Alaskan Hiway a few years ago and said that the price included a service truck to change and/or repair tires.. he said every one needed at least 1 change on the trip..

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

I like my new Toyo Open Country AT LT's - aggressive lug, quiet ride, good mileage

Reply to
whiplash

i have the same tires toyo and love them.

Reply to
Charles H.

A few years ago we drove as far up as the start of the Alcan Highway just to see the Northern Lights....From what I read beforehand, expect a cracked windshield with lots of slow RV's and trailers on two lane roads in Summer......It was a long, snowy, cold drive North in March

Reply to
ken

nope, only bf goodrich at john

Reply to
johnny

Absolutely agree with Doc. BFG A/Ts

Reply to
Demon

I'll thrid that... I've got 12,000 miles on mine and zero discernable wear. I love them!

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

What kind of mileage is common with these tires given no alignment problems? I have always thought they were good looking tires but a set I had on my 81 Toyota didn't get but about 30,000 and it was a light truck with 31-10.50's. They were the less aggressive All Terrain TA's

Reply to
Bob Muse

I've got 12,000 on mine and zero wear, a co-worker of mine has a 5 year old set on his truck that still have about 50% of the tread. I fully expect 60,000miles out of them. the key is keeping your front end up to snuff.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase