Tires and Wheels help

I have a 2002 Suburban 1500 4WD. How can I find out the max tire/wheel size without a lift kit or maybe a 3 inch suspension lift?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mookie

Reply to
Matt McCarthy

a rule of thumb you really should go no higher than 7" total,Dana 44's or corporate 10 bolt axles are rated for a maximumtire size of 33". A lot of people use higher lifts and bigger tires, but if you have ever seen a wheel/tire break the axle you will realize why it's important to follow manufacturers guidelines. The majority of trucks i see with tires larger than 33" and huge lift kits would break if they tried to follow me thru the bog.

Reply to
Mad Dog

's another site with alot of helpful information on lift vs. tire size.Thanks again for your help. Mookie

Reply to
Matt McCarthy

I have 255/85R-16'BFGoodrich Mud Terrains on my 2003 1500K Silverado. That's 33.3 inch tall, 10 inch wide. That is the TALLEST tire that will fit without a lift. They look like they were made for the truck, and lifted the ride height up over 1.5" from standard height.

I can turn to full wheel stops, and go over big bumps, and they don't rub at all. But, that's because they are fairly narrow tires.

I'm not sure how 2003 pickup compares to 2002 Suburban. But, I only know what worked for me.

Reply to
RWC

That says 285/75-R16 is the biggest that will fit without a lift. That would be 11.5" x 33.1" tall on an 8" wide rim. I don't think that will fit on a stock wheel (because of the width). I really don't know if I can believe they wouldn't rub. That's fairly wide. Plus, I don't have

8" rims stock, and it would have cost me new rims!

The 255/85-R16 is 10" wide on a 7" rim, and 33.3" tall. (for BFGoodrich Muds anyhow). That's Taller, and narrower. So, it all depends on how you define the word "big." Ask Clinton? But, I put them on standard rims, and fit them on my truck just fine.

Reply to
RWC