To Vortec or Not To Vortec

I am shopping for 95 - 99 Chevy/GMC 2500 w/350. This is to be a work/farm truck with some towing (2 horse trailer).

Looks like they started calling the engine a Vortec in 1996.

How much difference is there between the Vortec 350 and the non-Vortec

350?? Specifically, I'm wondering about longevity. Will one of these engines outlast the other by a significant amount? And why?

I've had people tell me that the Vortec will easily go 250,000. Does this seem reasonable?

Also, any gotchas that I should be on the lookout for in this range of years??

Thanx in advance for your input.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Patterson

Hi Keith, Yes, Intake Gasket headaches. Very common with all these 350's from this era. Mark

Reply to
Mark D

Per Keith Patterson:

4L60E trans: Valve body cylinder. Mine went every 30k until I paid myself to have it re-bored and sleeved with the proper material. Got about 60k on that fix with no probs so far.
Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

non-Vortec

I would strongly suggest you get a OBS truck (Old Body Style, 88 thru

99, not a silverado) with a 350 vortec engine. THe 350 is a well proven engine and with proper gearing it can move a lot more than a 2 horse trailer. Starting in 99 they had the next generation Vortec or 4.8, 5.3, and 6.0 not are related at all to the 350/5.7. The 4.8 and 5.3 has higher paper HP rating than the 350 but the 350 has more torque than them at lower RPMs (below 3000 RPM or so) and that torque is what you need towing. A 6.0 will do fine because it has good low RPM torque. GM cam out with the Vortec 350 around 97 and so before that the 350 had TBI and the Vortec 350 is a completely diferent animal than the TBI 350 with a lot more power and it will pull to 5000 RPM without a fuss too when need be when the TBI motor is running out of breather past 3000 RPM or so. (the TBI engine is strong below 3000 RPM though)
Reply to
SnoMan

"" wrote: > I am shopping for 95 - 99 Chevy/GMC 2500 w/350. This is to be > a > work/farm truck with some towing (2 horse trailer). > > Looks like they started calling the engine a Vortec in 1996. > > How much difference is there between the Vortec 350 and the > non-Vortec > 350?? Specifically, I'm wondering about longevity. Will one > of these > engines outlast the other by a significant amount? And why? > > I've had people tell me that the Vortec will easily go > 250,000. Does > this seem reasonable? > > Also, any gotchas that I should be on the lookout for in this > range of > years?? > > Thanx in advance for your input. > > Keith

dodge 3500 with the cummins diesel. Ive seen both the 2500 and the

3500 pull a 36ft gooseneck trailer loaded with 18,000 and 23,000lbs and the 3500 still got 16mpg. similar model years in dodge go for less than $10k, and ive seen a few 93-94?s go for $5k, and you get 200-300k miles outta a diesel without much worry.
Reply to
xmirage2kx

You know 30 years ago I saw 20 to 30K gooseneck grain trailers (three axle too) towed with chevy dualies with 454 in them and a 4 speed and they did a fine job. You do not need a Cummins to tow well (and the extra 600lbs plus up front from the 1400lb motor) and I do not denign that it is a strong engine, but it is a VERY expensive engine to work on out of warranty and if you have pump problem on a old one it can set you back 2 or 3 g?s easy and it has a very limited RPM range that it delievers its best power and economy. This guy is looking for advice on a chevy to pull a two horse trailer and you want him to by something completely else if he wants to tow anything. I had horses for a LOT of years (over 15 years and I have been out of them for many years now) and I towed 2 and 4 horse trailers all over the place with

350 chevies and even a 360 power AMC jeep truck. I never lacked power and I used to get about 11 to 12 MPG towing as a average with my tow vehicals and I was not dragging my feet or towing on flat ground either.
Reply to
SnoMan

I used to own Dodges (3). Until I owned a 360.

I'll never own another Dudge.

These horses are heavy, but I think they're going to come in well under 18,000.

This truck will also be used for more than just towing. There will be some hauling, some light, some heavy. I don't think that I'm doing anything that would warrant a 1 ton suspension. The last one of these that I rode in (F350) rode like a wheel barrow unless the springs were engaged.

After doing some looking and talking around, I'm pretty much set on a

3/4 ton GMC product with some version of the 350.

Just trying to gather some hints and tips from those who have experience with this combination.

Keith

Reply to
Keith Patterson