Towing w/91 Blazer

Page 2 of 2
Burnt: see previous post on this, I believe the code is G80, and according to "KJ" that means it is a "limited slip diff", whatever that means.
thanks, jb
"burntkat" <

I have a 1992 S10 with 298,560 miles on it. I just towed my 2002 Viking Saga 2308 camper home. This camper is 2750lbs empty. Then add full tank of water, fridge loaded. Fill the propane tank. Add 4 or 5 fires worth of wood. Supplies and it's over 3100lbs.
I put on a class III hitch and tranny cooler. No need for add on brakes or sway bars. Pulls great. Just have to baby it since the engine is tired. :)
LS
PS Rear only drops by 5/8 inch when I put on the trailer. Was very surprised.

Good point, and one I'd like to repeat:
"> I put on a class III hitch and tranny cooler" "> I put on a class III hitch and TRANNY COOLER" Get the biggest one that'll fit. Then, depending on where you live <if you don't live in the frigid north> bypass the in-radiator AT Cooler COMPLETELY.
Install a $40 Transmission temp gauge <available at Pep Boys, just put one in my XJ and S-10> and when you're doing anything hard to the tranny <towing> keep an eye on it. The cooler, the better, for ATs.

I have a 1992 S10 with 298,560 miles on it. I just towed my 2002 Viking Saga 2308 camper home. This camper is 2750lbs empty. Then add full tank of water, fridge loaded. Fill the propane tank. Add 4 or 5 fires worth of wood. Supplies and it's over 3100lbs. I put on a class III hitch and tranny cooler. No need for add on brakes or sway bars. Pulls great. Just have to baby it since the engine is tired. :) LS "
------------------------------------------------------------ The guy said he had a 5-speed.Is a trans cooler really necessary with this trans?
damnit, ya know-- I was wondering about that-- got my threads mixed up. A guy in another NG was asking the same Q, with a 700R4.
That said-- if there was a way to cool MT lube, I think I'd do it.

Most states require electric trailer brakes on any trailer over a certain weight. NY says any trailer weighing 1,000 lbs or more empty or has a gross weight over 3,000 lbs. must have brakes on it. Not sure about your state, but NY makes this info available online, just have to search their knowledge base. here's NY's page http://www.nysdmv.com/forms/mv529c.pdf
My parents have burned brakes before, going down mountains with a brake controller that had unknowingly failed, with a 24' trailer. Scorched the rotors pretty bad up front, nothing happened to the rear. Towing a small pop-up with the same vehicle, they cracked 2 ceramic pads going down a 7% grade that had a low speed limit at the bottom (either 25 or 45, not sure), trailer brakes worked fine there.

Sounds like your trailer weight in not properly distributed, lots of stuff stored in the back is taking weight off the tongue. Use a bathroom scale to check tongue weight. It the weight is over the scale maximum, put a 4X4 block under the trailer jack, the scale under one end of the 4X, a black of the same height as the scale under the other end of the 4X. Your actual weight is double the scale reading.
LS wrote:

I've been through all of that. It is packed and loaded properly. I went back to the dealer and had them check it for me so I wouldbe safe.

With my 89 S-10 4WD I have towed 3500 lbs of logs in a 1000 lb (empty) trailer up to thirty miles with no problems (aside from soft brakes). I have towed considerably less weight in the same trailer (camping equipment, so no scales) from state to state.
I installed a transmission cooler.
Jeff

i have a 91 s-10 tahoe, mine does not have any of those codes, the only g one on the is GQ1 do you know what that is?
matt:rock:
--
urb's91
I just find "Axle, STD ratio". I think it may be a 3.08, not sure...