Towing w/91 Blazer

Good point, and one I'd like to repeat:

"> I put on a class III hitch and tranny cooler" "> I put on a class III hitch and TRANNY COOLER"

Get the biggest one that'll fit. Then, depending on where you live I have a 1992 S10 with 298,560 miles on it. I just towed my 2002 Viking

Reply to
burntkat

Most states require electric trailer brakes on any trailer over a certain weight. NY says any trailer weighing 1,000 lbs or more empty or has a gross weight over 3,000 lbs. must have brakes on it. Not sure about your state, but NY makes this info available online, just have to search their knowledge base. here's NY's page

My parents have burned brakes before, going down mountains with a brake controller that had unknowingly failed, with a 24' trailer. Scorched the rotors pretty bad up front, nothing happened to the rear. Towing a small pop-up with the same vehicle, they cracked 2 ceramic pads going down a 7% grade that had a low speed limit at the bottom (either 25 or 45, not sure), trailer brakes worked fine there.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Reply to
Robert Ball

I've been through all of that. It is packed and loaded properly. I went back to the dealer and had them check it for me so I wouldbe safe.

Reply to
LS

With my 89 S-10 4WD I have towed 3500 lbs of logs in a 1000 lb (empty) trailer up to thirty miles with no problems (aside from soft brakes). I have towed considerably less weight in the same trailer (camping equipment, so no scales) from state to state.

I installed a transmission cooler.

Jeff

Reply to
cyberdock

regarding: "Good point, and one I'd like to repeat: "> I put on a class III hitch and tranny cooler" "> I put on a class III hitch and TRANNY COOLER" Get the biggest one that'll fit. Then, depending on where you live

Reply to
Brian Orion

damnit, ya know-- I was wondering about that-- got my threads mixed up. A guy in another NG was asking the same Q, with a 700R4.

That said-- if there was a way to cool MT lube, I think I'd do it.

---------------------------------------

Reply to
burntkat

it's not a limited slip.. it does indeed lock, but it is no where near as good as a Lock-right or a Detroit locker.

They're

hydraulic surge brakes work by connecting a master cylinder to the coupler. when you brake the trailer pushes the MC into the coupler, activating the brakes. this is why when you hit the brakes, a 1/2 sec later the trailer jerks backwards. they've been outlawed in TN for quite some time... long downgrades will burn them up, and unless the lockout is functioning, backing them up an incline is damn near impossible.

full of gear for 3 days without a single

I get between 13.5 and 15 MPG on my '88 K2500 w/ a 350.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I want to thank all you guys with feedback to my questions about power, and towing capacity. . Now I know I have a lsd, 3.42 rear end. Somebody suggested I get a trani cooler. So I went to my local trani dealer to have one installed, he looked at the 5 speed and looked at me like I was nuts. so I blamed it on you guys HA! Anyway, the tow bar is attached solid to the frame it is a "draw tite", don't know if that meets the specs but it seems pretty solid. I'm giving it a test run this weekend, so I'll let you know how it handled "little piggy". Thanks, Jb

Reply to
jb

i have a 91 s-10 tahoe, mine does not have any of those codes, the only g one on the is GQ1 do you know what that is?

matt:rock:

Reply to
urb's91

Reply to