Toyota is just too competitive

http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/26/Autos/toyota.reut/index.htm
Found this in my other NG, thought it was interesting.

Trey wrote:

They will wait until GM and Ford are out of business before raising their prices because then there won't be a real alternative. I don't see the point anyway, Toyota is priced higher than any other brand already and there wasn't any real reason to buy a Toyota truck over a Chevy unless you believe they are more reliable like all my co-workers who thought so and now complain about the cost of maintenance for their Toyotas.
Tell your buddy at work that he is welcome to bring that little toy of his over and hook it right up to my 31' 5th wheel. I'd love to see that little thing try and pull that baby down the road.
I think the quality of the Jap brands was thought to be better because their trucks were so lite duty no one bought them that really used them as trucks. Now that they are trying to play in the real truck world with the big boys lets see how well they do. I don't know how many of you out there go camping but when I pull into the camp grounds or the race track and take an inventory of what people are using for tow vehicles there aren't many of these little things there. Until the last few years it has been dominated by GM. Now I'm seeing a rising percentage of Dodge. I live in the North East, not in the upper mid west. I tow a great deal.
Anyway, my two cents . . .
Eugene Nine wrote:

their
brand
Chevy
Per Eugene Nine:

How about GM's 4L60 transmission and it's need for aftermarket re-sleeving of one of it's components?
More to the point, how about a corporate attitude that let this thing persist for all these (5? 10?) years?
--
PeteCresswell

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Every brand has these issues. How about the Mitsubishi's with the blue smoke cloud behind them for years? How about the Toyota engine sludge problems? I could name many more.