Trailer Hitch Question

I'm going to buy a class III hitch for my 1999 Chevy K1500 pickup. I want to get a bolt on that sits right behind the rear bumper. The truck has P265/75
R16 factory size tires on factory rims, no lift kit but does sit pretty tall compared to a 2WD model. My question is how much drop should I get on the ball platform for general towing of trailers, rental equipment etc. The reason I ask is that I don't own anything that I tow I just need it for when I do have to pull something.
Thanks Brian

I have a 2" drop ball mount on my '88 K2500 w/ 265/75-r16's and it's fine for 98% of the trailers I deal with.
-Bret

It really isn't that simple. I have a 99 4wd suburban and have a 2" drop hitch for our pop up camper, and a 2" rise hitch (put ball on the bottom of a 2" drop) to pull the ski boat. This scenario pulls both trailers level. There just isn't 1 correct hitch combination.
On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 22:58:43 -0400, Bob Muse

you missed this part "The reason I ask is that I don't own anything that I tow I just need it for when I do have to pull something."
in this situation a 2" mount would be fine.
-Bret

I want to

P265/75
pretty tall

general
I don't

something.
That's correct, I'm just looking for advise as to what is a good general drop might be. I realize that there are differences in trailers that's why I asked what is a good general size. Bret is giving me his experience with his towing and that's what I'm looking for. If I had a trailer or trailers of my own I would measure them to see what I needed to set them level on my truck.
Thanks Brian
I second the motion that most towing situations can be handled by a 2" drop, although there can always be exceptions to every rule. I no longer tow with my old S10 Blazer (there, I kept it on topic :-) as I picked up a slide-on camper for my old '92 Dodge W250 4x4, and now use this rig when I go fishing. This truck sits wwaayy up, with no lift kit installed. And I now have a 6" drop to tow the boat level, where before this I had a 4" drop installed for a utility trailer. Now I just swap hitches depending on what I am doing.
So go with the 2" drop and you will probably cover your towing needs, and if you ever do find a situation where you need a different drop, you can always pick up another drop hitch to fit at that time.
Bob (Now if I could only figure out how I ended up with a 3" drop hitch also, as I have never seen this configuration, I would be on top of the world)

drop,
with
Bob,
I also have a 92 W250. Mine's a white, 360 V8, 5 speed, with 4.10 axles.
Al
They make hitches that can adjust via wrench +-7"s
~KJ/TLGM
wrote:

pickup.
has
for
that
the
looking

I was just showing what was necesary to have an optimal hitch. You can get a trailer to drag along with about any hitch but it might tip up or down a little. Usually no problem but I can't tolerate it on something I tow frequently.

I want to

has P265/75

pretty tall

general
I don't

something.
I would agree with that 100%.
Thanks Brian
well said.
If you're really worried about it, get one of those adjustable-height hitch drawbars. I believe they carry them at Walmart, and your LAPS....

want to

P265/75
pretty tall

general