Trailmaster Suspension Kits

Has anyone personally used or know some one that has used a kit by Trailmaster. I am considering their 4" lift kit for my truck and was looking for some thoughts on the kit, likes, dis-likes.

Thanks

Reply to
azwiley1

i've got their 6" suspension lift on my truck (94 silverado, x-cab, stepside)what specifically do you want to know?

Reply to
overkil_customs

I was looking for specifics like driveshaft problems. Does the kit come with everything needed for the NBS trucks or is there more I will have to buy. How does the overall kit hold up compared to some of the other brands.

Reply to
azwiley1

the following is assuming you have the same body as mine (94 x-cab, stepside)

the 4" supposedly doesn't have any driveshaft issues at all, my 6" doesn't have any problems with the rear (i've got a one-piece driveshaft) they say it's not necessary to replace the front shaft, but noise and vibration will be common after 35mph. true story, i'll probably replace mine, but it's not a huge deal to me because i only use 4wd on ice. you'll need to have an exhaust shop modify your y-pipe because your front driveshaft will wind up where the crossover pipe is now.

i DO remember something about not doing the lift on duallys, or on longbox quadcab trucks, but i don't remember for sure, and to be honest, i don't feel like digging through my instructions to find out for sure, unless someone really needs that info.

other than that, the lift is strong as hell... the front crossmember actually absorbed the brunt of a deer that i ran over a while ago doing just over 70 mph... my grill guard knocked it over, and it went under the truck... no damage to the lift, except for the deer residue all over it.

i purchased and installed a set of rancho torsion bars, and a set of pro-comp traction bars separately, both with noticable improvements to drivability and ride comfort. the truck actually handles better now, than it did before the lift. the shocks i chose for the lift were the SSV's

i DID blow out my rear end about a month after the lift... tore 3 teeth off the ring gear, still not sure why... supposedly that's common in lifted chevy trucks, so that was my excuse to put 4.10 gears and an eaton limited slip differential in it. NICE and strong now. (yes, i DID regear the front end too, i'm not TOTALLY stupid) little bonus with the smaller gears, is that they set the speedo back REALLY close to accurate again

tires: don't even try anything bigger than 295/75/r16 (roughly a

33x12.5) on the 4" lift unless you like rubbing, and the 315/75/r16 (about a 35x12.5) with the 6". i also stepped into a 16x10 rim

back to the question though... the kit is very complete, i think the only thing the kit didn't come with, was some undercoating for where i needed to do some frame modifications. instructions are VERY clear, and really accurate.

the only drawback of the trailmaster kits, is that they're kindof expensive, but it's very worth it. i've got no regrets

i'd post pics, but i don't have anything current. i'll take more when the weather gets a little nicer

Reply to
overkil_customs

Well, I have a new body style 99, but thank you anyway. That is the most anyone, even in FSC has said to me about this.

Reply to
azwiley1