Trans fluid flush or drain?

Page 3 of 4
Cottman in Elmira, NY rebuilt the 700R4 in my '87 K5 at 96,000 miles for $1200 with a 24 mo/24,000 warrenty. Still no problems at 186,000.

Good to hear. Thanks.
Brandonb
JR wrote:

I have been told by numerous mechanics that if you haven't had tranny troubles or burned oil, that a standard flush without dropping the pan is fine.

do these same 'mechanics' also advocate changing engine oil without changing the filter ?

~~ (with evidence that he believes everything he is told......)
I have been told by numerous mechanics that if you haven't had tranny troubles or burned oil, that a standard flush without dropping the pan is fine.
"Brandon Buckner" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (which caused Gary's legs to start kicking... rolling him and the creeper from under the vehical and across the shop floor .... screaming this.......) On Tue, Oct 7, 2003, 2:04pm (CDT+5) ... snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com (GaryGlaenzer)
do these same 'mechanics' also advocate changing engine oil without changing the filter ?
gary ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never trust a mechanic to do a Technicians job, especially when they aren't qualified in the field they're giving advice on!!
Scrib Abell (technician)
~:~ wonders if he should have all the electrical replaced in his house.........because the landscaper said he should~:~
Scribb Abell wrote:
> Never trust a mechanic to do a Technicians job,

Just for my information, can you tell what is the offical distinction(s) between "mechanics" and "technicans"?
John (Barn yard Mechanic and beer drinking technican)
~ Scribb Abell wrote: Never trust a mechanic to do a Technicians job, especially when they aren't qualified in the field they're giving advice on!!
Scrib Abell (technician) ~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~ Just for my information, can you tell what is the offical distinction(s) between "mechanics" and "technicans"?
John (Barn yard Mechanic and beer drinking technican) ~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
John, one of the most notable differences is..... a technician works in a well equipped shop... not a barn.
hope that helps clarify it just a bit......
if not....read the thread, and take a look at Gary's response to Joe's helpfull input.
a tech knows what he's talking about
Scrib Abell technician ~:~answering the questions asked~:~
Somehow,on Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:58:03 -0500 (CDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Scribb Abell) managed to spout out:

and in a different thread, you are/were a bodyman...
< plonk > (killfiles are great, aren't they?)
Mike `02 Silverado 2500HD
~
Re: Trans fluid flush or drain?..technicians...
~~ ~~ snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Scribb Abell) managed to spout out:
<snip>
Scrib Abell technician ~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~ apparently not knowing who he was talking to, or perhaps just inquistitve.... (JanitorBoyJr) spewed forth this question for Scrib.....
and in a different thread, you are/were a bodyman...
< plonk >
(killfiles are great, aren't they?) Mike `02 Silverado 2500HD ~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~ which pried ole Scrib away from the pot of boiling shroom juice long enough to reply....
yes.....3rd generation
Scribs Abell (are you) ~
Scribb Abell wrote:

Ok, well how about a "mechanic" in a "well equipped shop". Can I trust one of those creatures?
~~~~~~~~~~~ John started an off-topic insert with.....
Just for my information, can you tell what is the offical distinction(s) between "mechanics" and "technicans"?
John (Barn yard Mechanic and beer drinking technican) ~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~ (scrib informs john.....)
John, one of the most notable differences is..... a technician works in a well equipped shop... not a barn.
hope that helps clarify it just a bit......
scrib abell ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ (john asks scrib....)
Ok, well how about a "mechanic" in a "well equipped shop". Can I trust one of those creatures?
Have you ever seen a tranny "filter" It is nothing more than a piece of gauze like substance. When they do a flush, the machine will indicate and abnormal resistance, that would indicate restrictions in the filter and should replace it. The ability for a tranny filter to filter out any small particles like an oil filter is laughable. It is really only there if you do have a problem in a tranny, that it won't inject pieces of stuff all throughout your tranny.

yes, I see them every day, when I rebuild them
you really need to cut one open, and look at the inside
that way, you won't appear to be as much of a horse's ass whn you open your big mouth

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
(GaryGlaenzer)
yes, I see them every day, when I rebuild them
you really need to cut one open, and look at the inside
that way, you won't appear to be as much of a horse's ass whn you open your big mouth ~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~ Joe, do you need to borrow a "port-a-power" to wedge that foot out your mouth?
Scrib Abell tranny tech
Well, GENIUSES, can you please tell me the micron filtration of the said filter?
(Gary Glaenzer)
yes, I see them every day, when I rebuild them
you really need to cut one open, and look at the inside
that way, you won't appear to be as much of a horse's ass whn you open your big mouth ~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~ Joe, do you need to borrow a "port-a-power" to wedge that foot out your mouth?
Scrib Abell tranny tech
(Gary Glaenzer)

What credentials do you have?
(Gary Glaenzer)

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
(Doc)
Bunghole,
It always helps to lurk (aka READ) a newsgroup for a few days or even weeks before posting; that way you know who the professional transmission rebuilders in the group are before you insult them.
Doc ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ DOC !!!!
lmao....Doc said bunghole.....
scrib abell ~:~ gives the handle on the "port-a-power" another little pump...wider...wider....~:~ ~
~~ ~~ Re: Trans fluid flush or drain? ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
(JoePoitras)
Well, GENIUSES, can you please tell me the micron filtration of the said filter? ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~
Joe, Yes I can.
scrib abell ~:~wonders why Joe needs to know....maybe Joe's thunk'n he'll change his views and opinions if HE'S BETTER INFORMED...~:~ ~
Joe, Yes I can.
scrib abell ~:~wonders why Joe needs to know....maybe Joe's thunk'n he'll change his views and opinions if HE'S BETTER INFORMED...~:~ ~ Actually , yes I do change my oppinions based on fact. Of course it is always a great idea to change the filter every time, but it is also a great idea to change and flush your brake system every 2 years. That I also do. I am only saying that in the case of the GM throw away transmissions that don't have a proper filter that a professional flush is just as good as a shadetree mechanic changing filter and only half the fluid, unless you have reason to believe there has been excessive wear, due to abuse or burnt fluid. I have consulted a half dozen journeyman mechanics who have told me this same information.
Now, if all you can do is throw mindless insults at me, rather than facts, than I guess I know what a transmission technician is.