Transfer case problem

Hi everyone I've got a problem I'd like some advice on.

Four days ago I bought a '92 Chevy 3/4ton 4x4 (6.5 turbo diesel,

4L80e Trans, 241c transfer case). The day after I drove it home it began making an intermittent clunking noise somewhere in the driveline, usually during acceleration. Yesterday on the way to work it made the clunk noise then *BAM* the transfer case popped into neutral but the shift lever was still in 2wd and making a grinding noise (like when shifting between 4 & 2WD and th e gears don't mesh). I stopped, shifted into neutral on the transmission, then shifted the transfer case into neutral and then back to 2wd. I shifted back into Drive and everything seemed normal until I pegged the accelerator then *BAM* into neutral again (the t-case lever still indicated 2WD).

The only way I was able to drive without the t-case popping into neutral was in 4-Low...fortunately this took place on a dirt road 2 miles from my home.

Anyone have an idea what's going wrong? Thanks in advance.

Greg

Reply to
Krissi

mine did it....worn and bent internal fork. that's mine though maybe it can be fixed from outside good luck

Reply to
worker

Doing this routinely is a good way to ensure your vehicle's drive train and its components enjoy a short life.

Pete

Reply to
Pete