transmission

Page 1 of 2
My problem is that the transmission in my truck constantly will shift in and out of overdrive if I cruise any faster than 109 km. below the it runs very smooth but above its in and out every 5 seconds
any ideas would be appreciated
91 chev 3/4 with 350 injected
What size tires and gears are you running in your truck? -NW

in and out of overdrive (approximately 40% increase in RPM)
or
in and out of lock-up (approximately 3-400 RPM change) ?

In and out of lockup ?
On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 23:32:41 GMT, "mers-el-kebir"

yep
-Bret

Not that I know, but is there anyway for him to look at it, and fix it, or does he need to pay someone.....
~KJ~

lockup as in 4 wheel drive ?

no
lock-up as in the internal clutch plate inside the torque converter

Any ideas on how to go about correcting this ?

year, model, engine size, again, please ?

the first thing I'd try is a SLIGHT adjustment of the throttle cable
are you familiar with what it is and where the adjustment is located ?
I HAVE to jump in here Gary. The ONLY proper adjustment of a TV cable is-With one hand hold the throttle WIDE open(not running of course), with another hand press the cable lock down(a silver 'D' shaped thingy on the tranny side of the bracket), now with the 3rd hand(you figure that one out) pull the cable housing back till the cable is snug WITHOUT closing the throttle at all. Now, release hand 2 from the lock(the 'D' shaped thingy), release hand 3 from the cable housing, now release hand 1 from the throttle. DONE!!! BTW, don't have someone hold the gas pedal to the floor! It doesn't always open the throttle ALL the way.

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 19:58:47 -0600, "Matt Levene \(aka Shades\)"

the adjuster will ratchet out with about 12lbs of force on the throttle lever, no need for a third arm. the way I was shown how to do it was to press in the adjuster, take the slack out of the cable with the throttle closed, then grab the throttle lever on the TBI unit and turn it to WOT with your hand. the cable will ratchet out to the proper length.
-Bret

Just depends on how much you wanna rely on the 'ratcheting'. It never worked for me, but Murphy rides on my shoulder...

bull
that may be the 'book' way, but it doesn't work every time
the inner cable may be stretched, the linkage lever in the transmission may be bent
it's a good way to sell overhauls, tho.

If you think about it...Doing it the 'book' way, the cable will be snug and the linkage will be pulled. When you step back and think about it, the job gets done as it should.

you just keep doing it the 'book way'
I'll do it my way, with a pressure gauge on the line pressure tap