transmission

My problem is that the transmission in my truck constantly will shift in and out of overdrive if I cruise any faster than 109 km. below the it runs very smooth but above its in and out every 5 seconds

any ideas would be appreciated

91 chev 3/4 with 350 injected
Reply to
mers-el-kebir

What size tires and gears are you running in your truck?

-NW

Reply to
NetWeasel

in and out of overdrive (approximately 40% increase in RPM)

or

in and out of lock-up (approximately 3-400 RPM change) ?

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

About 3 _ 400 rpm change

Reply to
mers-el-kebir

265 75 15 Stock gears i believe

Reply to
mers-el-kebir

In and out of lockup ?

Reply to
mers-el-kebir

yep

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Not that I know, but is there anyway for him to look at it, and fix it, or does he need to pay someone.....

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

yes

throttle position sensor is a likely suspect

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

lockup as in 4 wheel drive ?

Reply to
mers-el-kebir

no

lock-up as in the internal clutch plate inside the torque converter

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

You will have to pardon my stupidity

Any ideas on how to go about correcting this ?

Reply to
mers-el-kebir

year, model, engine size, again, please ?

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

91 chev 3/4 350 injected 265 75 16 tires
Reply to
mers-el-kebir

the first thing I'd try is a SLIGHT adjustment of the throttle cable

are you familiar with what it is and where the adjustment is located ?

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

I HAVE to jump in here Gary. The ONLY proper adjustment of a TV cable is-With one hand hold the throttle WIDE open(not running of course), with another hand press the cable lock down(a silver 'D' shaped thingy on the tranny side of the bracket), now with the 3rd hand(you figure that one out) pull the cable housing back till the cable is snug WITHOUT closing the throttle at all. Now, release hand 2 from the lock(the 'D' shaped thingy), release hand 3 from the cable housing, now release hand 1 from the throttle. DONE!!! BTW, don't have someone hold the gas pedal to the floor! It doesn't always open the throttle ALL the way.

Reply to
Matt Levene (aka Shades)

the adjuster will ratchet out with about 12lbs of force on the throttle lever, no need for a third arm. the way I was shown how to do it was to press in the adjuster, take the slack out of the cable with the throttle closed, then grab the throttle lever on the TBI unit and turn it to WOT with your hand. the cable will ratchet out to the proper length.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Just depends on how much you wanna rely on the 'ratcheting'. It never worked for me, but Murphy rides on my shoulder...

Reply to
Matt Levene (aka Shades)

bull

that may be the 'book' way, but it doesn't work every time

the inner cable may be stretched, the linkage lever in the transmission may be bent

it's a good way to sell overhauls, tho.

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

If you think about it...Doing it the 'book' way, the cable will be snug and the linkage will be pulled. When you step back and think about it, the job gets done as it should.

Reply to
Matt Levene (aka Shades)