transmission Cooler K1500

Ok here is the subject vehicle....

1992 K 1500, 350 Engine, 7004R Transmission. Looking to install an external transmission cooler to work in conjunction with the OEM radiator transmission fluid cooler.

In the past I've had a B&M "stacked plate" cooler that was connected to the truck by barbed fittings and rubber hose. I've noticed that some coolers come with permanent barbed hose type fitting and some coolers have bosses where you can install fitting of your preference.

Anyone used a hardline type setup to install one of these coolers? Something that's along the lines of what is factory installed on the towing packages like a 1999 Z71 has?

When I changed radiators I removed the old external cooler and now I want to re-install one but would like to have a hard line setup.... I know the easy answer is to buy the crap from GM but that's a little $$expensive for my taste just to accomplish this. 2nd option would be to raid a junkyard candidate...

I've always felt the rubber hose and barbed fittings setup basically sucked, but it was the easy way to work the setup. I had the coolers on other vehicles where they ran for a couple of years with no problems but I do admire the hard line setup.

Any comments? Thanks Elbert

Reply to
Elbert

Just look for the type with removible fittings. Then buy the adapters needed for flaired hard lines. Making your own hardlines up is not too hard. A good tubing bender and a double flair set, and you can get your lines run & look somewhat nice. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig