transmission fluid and filter

I posted this a few days ago and didn't get a reply. Thought I would try again. Maybe the right guy just didn't see it the first time. Thanks SEE POST BELOW

I know this is a little off topic for this newsgroup, but this group has people with expertise in about any field pertaining to vehicles. The 4L30E is used in a couple GM cars, as well as the Honda Passport, Isuzu Rodeo and Amigo.
I need to change the AT fluid and filter in my passport with the 4L30E transmission. The shop manual says purchase a transmission fluid thermometer from you local parts counter before attempting this or serious damage may be done to your transmission. It has no dip stick, so fluid has to be pumped in through the drain plug or overflow check hole. Is it really so critical that you have to check the temp of the fluid before adding more. This seem like a lot of Bull to me, but I am not a professional like some of you guys.
Would like to hear what some of you transmission guys think about this. Do you know of another safe way to check it without thermometer? Charles
"" wrote: > I posted this a few days ago and didn't get a reply. Thought > I would try > again. Maybe the right guy just didn't see it the first time. > Thanks > SEE POST BELOW > > > I know this is a little off topic for this newsgroup, but this > group has > people with expertise in about any field pertaining to > vehicles. The 4L30E > is used in a couple GM cars, as well as the Honda Passport, > Isuzu Rodeo and > Amigo. > > I need to change the AT fluid and filter in my passport with > the 4L30E > transmission. The shop manual says purchase a transmission > fluid > thermometer from you local parts counter before attempting > this or serious > damage may be done to your transmission. It has no dip stick, > so fluid has > to be pumped in through the drain plug or overflow check hole. > Is it really > so critical that you have to check the temp of the fluid > before adding more. > This seem like a lot of Bull to me, but I am not a > professional like some of > you guys. > > Would like to hear what some of you transmission guys think > about this. Do > you know of another safe way to check it without thermometer? > Charles
Just service unit and get tranny up to normal operating temp (drive it 5 to 10 miles) and check fliud level. This is not rocket science here. IF you over fill it is can vent the excess fluid off but a extra 1/2 a quart is not going to hurt anything.

http://www.autoforumz.com/Chevrolet-transmission-fluid-filter-ftopict127118.html
http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?pa9900