transmission jumping/4wd service light

my transmission began to start jumping when just cruising @ a moderate speed so i had it rebuilt. Less than 24 hours later from getting the truck back from the trans people, it began to do the same thing and all of a sudden while goin down the highway bout 60 it sounded like the trans was just coming to pieces and then it just shut down and would barely drive and wouldnt reverse @ all. They picked the truck back up and said it looked like someone just threw the truck into park while goin down the highway. They fixed it again and said she was good to go but then here again less than 24 hours later it started the jerking again. They say there's no way its the trans. They think its the computer. The transfer case looks fine but the 4wd light is on. What in the hell is goin on and what are the chances the two issues are related?

Reply to
thrillin007

My guess is that a sensor is telling the computer wrong information. Sounds like a problem I once had on a Bronco. All caused by sensors.

The Bronco had a noisy 'PRNDL' (pronounced Prin-del) switch that told the computer to change gears. There was also a faulty 'Throttle Positioning Sensor' providing mis-information on how much throttle was requested.

These faulty sensors were detected by a Transmission shop that had a some test equipment that defined the faults. The cost for everything was about $200. The transmission worked perfectly after the sensor replacements. If your transmission shop is 'shotgunning' the fix, you might search for a shop with the proper test equipment.

Reply to
Mellowed