Transmission Pan - Deep or Standard?

Hi all, Getting ready to drop pan and change transmission filter on my 2001 Blazer. Talked to a local auto parts person when he came into my business. He said with the 4L60E
transmission, you cannot tell which filter you need until you drop the pan. Others have told me if the pan is flat across bottom, you need the standard filter, if this is a ridge where it obviously gets deeper you need the deep filter. My transmission has the ridge.
Am I correct in buying the filter for deep pan?
Thanks Butch

The 4L60E trans. pan in my 03 Envoy was a little over 2" deep and took the deep filter. Have you actually checked some of the online parts houses, like Autozone to actually see if both filters are listed? If in doubt buy both and return the wrong one.
"Butch Hinton" wrote:

I think you better check with another parts store because a good one should know because GM is not likely to but different pans in the same chassis and application (like 2001 blazers) if they change then it is likely to be in different applications, not the same car. .
SnoMan wrote:

No, that parts person was right. There are different pan depths in those transmissions in the same applications. I have run into this numerous times when doing trans services on these vehicles.
Ian
I had the same problem last week when I changed the fluid/filter on my 02 silverado 5.3L engine. The pan looks big but I don't know if it is the 'deep' one. The parts guy @ NAPA asked me the same question, standard or deep. I went with standard. After I ran the truck for 50 miles, I again pulled the plug and drained the fluid, it took 3.5 quarts to fill up to normal. So is this a standard or deep??? Ian or Gary (TS)??

It happen to me on my trailblazer I bought the shallow one but it took the deeper filter the way the parts person told to you can tell is that the shallow filter is gray color and the deeper filter it black and mines was black and I had the gray one at first and returned it for the black one

If that is true, I took out a black one (OEM) and replaced it with a grey one. Guess not that big of deal, will change the filter again. DA..

Gary...can you shed some light on this. TX