Transmission Problem

My mother has a 2000 model 4x4 the trans does not shift correctly its slow to shift to next gear.She took it to a trans shop and they said she needs a new one because it has
metal shavings in it. I say BS because when I used to do fraud investigations that is one we often heard. Am I correct. You can send me a private e-mail if I am correct so I can tell her she is going to be scammed? Jerry

There's good and bad shops....it's quite possible they're telling the truth. Take it to another shop or a GM dealer that has a transmission mechanic for a second opinion.

Or pull the pan off, and look for yourself. While you're at it, change the filter and look for metal shavings on the filter. Sometimes all that is needed is a clean filter to fix them. You will also need another pan gasket which may or may not come with the filter. Ask the part store what is included. Total cost is about $20 to $30 for the filter and gasket. Then you'll need 6 to 8 quarts of new fluid. I've also been told that Lucas additive for trannys helps. I never used it, but I have heard this more than once.
Jerry Strahan wrote:

Sounds very likely. Does it have all the gears when it shifts? A common failure in the 4L60E is the sun shell. Another is the valve body solenoid and another is the torque converter clutch facing. All of them will dump metal into the oil.
--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Jerry Strahan turned on the Etch-A-Sketch and wrote:

Adding to the other posts...
Is it a 4L60 or a 65? 80?
you also need to tell us what model and which truck she's got.

Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it. - Dee