Transmission Problem Need Advice

!992 S-10 4.3 with 700R4 trans.If someone has any ideas,I sure would appreciate any advice that may put me on track here.My problem is my trans.doesn't change until I accelerate real hard on the gas peddle.It does go through all the gears,and when it shifts it's really hits hard,which I can understand at almost full throttle.If I let off the accelerator a little after it get up speed,it will change a little sooner.I bought the truck a while back and someone put a used engine in it,so I didn't find this out till I got it on the road.Thanks! Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

If someone installed a different engine it's very possible that they neglected to adjust the TV cable. There a release button on the drivers side of the TVcable adjuster. Push that button and push the forward end of the cable adjuster back toward the rear of the engine bay, then sit in the drivers seat and push the throttle peddle to the floor. This will get it pretty close to where it needs to be. Test drive the truck and let us know if it helps. Regards, JR

Reply to
JR

Thanks JR! I will try that and let you know,Hope that's the problem.I get back with you. Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

JR I tried what you suggested,then test drove it.There was a difference in the shift,but not very much,and at times it was searching for OD.And it had to be running 65mph before it would go into OD.So I got it back close to before and drove it quite a bit,at times it seems to be getting a little bit better,but not like it shoud shift.I got a trans filter kit and gonna try changing the fluid,and see what the pan looks like.The truck I believe had been sitting for a long time.If you can think of any thing else let me know.That TV cable slider was hard to move.Thanks! Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

If the truck has been sitting for a while you probably should change the fluid then drive the truck a mile or two, then change the fluid again and replace the filter. The torque converter on the 700R4 doesn't have a drain plug and it will hold a lot of old fluid. Changing the fluid twice will help remove or dilute the old fluid with fresh new fluid. Be careful, that fluid will be hot even after driving only a short distance. And be careful not to over torque the pan bolts. Snug is good enough if it's not leaking. Oh, BTW, moving the TV cable adjuster only one click will change the shift points. Good Luck, JR

Reply to
JR

you should heck the vacum line to the modulater valve on the back/side of the transmission, or the modulater valve itself( if that year has one) old john

Hello, bobby! You wrote on Wed, 27 Aug 2008 16:09:38 -0400:

bs> !992 S-10 4.3 with 700R4 trans.If someone has any ideas,I sure would bs> appreciate any advice that may put me on track here.My problem is my bs> trans.doesn't change until I accelerate real hard on the gas peddle.It bs> does go through all the gears,and when it shifts it's really hits bs> hard,which I can understand at almost full throttle.If I let off the bs> accelerator a little after it get up speed,it will change a little bs> sooner.I bought the truck a while back and someone put a used engine in bs> it,so I didn't find this out till I got it on the road.Thanks! Bobby

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

No modulator valve on this one it has a TV cable.I changed the fluid & filter..and messed with the tv cable some more and it seemed to help,Thanks! bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

I took the pan off..spilled fluid everywhere,so I picked me a spot in the pan,drilled a hole and put a drain plug in it,now I can drain it in a container instead of on my head.I changed the filter and fluid..the inside of the Trans.was real clean,it is shifting much better now,i'll drive it some and drain and change the fluid again.Now I need to take the front drive shaft out and put a seal and gasket in the oil cooler filter adapter,that should have been done when the motor was out,oh well maybe it won't be too bad.Thanks! Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

Sounds like you are on the right track Bobby. When you go to put everything back together make SURE that there is no crap in the flat O-ring groove or you will be doing it again. Good luck JR

Reply to
JR