Transmission Problems

My father-in-law and his next door neighbor both own 99 Silverados. My father-in-law's transmission recently went out at 42K miles and his neighbor's went out about a year ago around 56K miles. They both required a
complete tranmission replacement and they both got rebuilts.
I own a 01 Suburban (my first Chevy) with similar drive train and this has got me a little spooked. Are these incidents just a rare coincidence or are there inherent tranny problems with these models?
Thanks, Brown

You driving a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton Burb?
Doc

<<< You driving a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton Burb?
1/2.
-Brown

I have a 2002 silverado 1500HD 4l80e tranny This transmission is starting to fail again for th 3rd time. Truck has 34000 km on it. GM will not replace any transmission in Canada if they can get you past the warranty period at minimal cost to them. I believe GM transmission failure is a far greater problem than anyone realises. If they are past warranty, find a GOOD tranny shop and have them rebuild it properly. My experience with GM and their service tech. has not been very good to say the least. Too bad we do not have any consumer laws in CANADA to protect us. If this happened down south in certain states GM would be having this truck back in the re-cycle bin.

Thanks for the information Doc.
Is there anything in particular that causes or aggrevates this problem? Towing? Running it hard? Plowing? etc...
Thanks, Brown

RE/

If you were stuck with one of these things within GM warranty, would you do the preventative cure or try to totally fry it to get a complete replacement?
I did the sleeve thing figuring they'd just stick me with another flawed design.
--
PeteCresswell

You did the right thing seeing as how the unit they installed at the dealership would be EXACTLY the same as the old one that fried.
Doc
Doc,
What is considered pricey? I am expecting 2k for a complete R&R. I have an '00 Silverado 1500 Z71 extended cab with 65k on her. I don't notice any hard shifts when warmed up. All of my hard shifts are when cold and no codes are set as of yet. I am wondering to do the preventative maintenance or just wait till she pukes. I do have the GMAC extended warranty and am good for 10k more, but like you said, I am sure they will just hand me another grenade. What's your opinion?
FYI: Also, I never tow and only hauled a couple of dirtbikes in the bed (800lbs max) is all I have ever done. I have the trans fluid changed every 15k as per yours and Gary's advice, but I still don't have the aux cooler as of yet.
Thanks for the info!
Derek

IIRC, the G-man does the Sonnax valve-sleeve for under half of what a complete rebuild would cost. Sorry I can't remember the exact dollar figure; I know it's no more than a grand.
If you pay close attention and have your PCM scanned regularly, you can catch the P1870 before the AT grenades. If you catch it as soon as it happens you're good to go and won't need an entire transmission.
Doc
OK, great. Thanks for the info, this will set the SES light and give me some sort of visual indication right without actually reading the codes right?
Thanks again,
Derek

Thanks again Doc. I have my POS reader that I will use every tank of gas or so and see what I come up with.
Derek

I have a "99 Tahoe 4x4, 4dr, LS. My trannie went out at 60K. Cost 2 grand to completely rebuild. I cound send ya a parts list of the goods that had to go in it if ya'd like. It's basically the same trannie that goes in all their 5.7 rides, from Z28 (1988) to Suburban (2004). I'm not sure how they expect the same trannie to move a truck 3 times the weight of the Z. btw i had to have the Z28 IROC's (1988) rebuilt but that was probably owner abuse. Wolf