transmission problems

Hi there,my son decided to install a stereo in his 1995 chevolet 1500 4x4 ext cab.instead of waiting to get the propper connections from the stereo place he cut all the wires for the plugs that go into the
factory stereo.now the tranny wont shift.if you put it in L then shift to 2 it will shift into 2,but if you put it in 3 or overdrive and go it is like it is stuck in L?i got all new pins for the factory plugs and replaced them and got the stereo working again.i thought it was the computer so took one out of another 1995 same as my sons and it didnt make a difference.i even put his computer in the other truck and it worked just fine.speedomiter doesnt work either.if anyone has any ideas it would sure appreceate it.
Thread archive:

He must have done something other than that to cause the 700R4 to behave like that. Are you 100% certain he didn't do something to the TV cable or other electrical cables at the harness?
Augustus wrote:

Sounds like he may have cut a couple of the wrong wires. If the speedo isn't working as well the problem is likely the speed sensor wiring OR a bad speed sensor.
--
Steve W.

I kind of have the same problem, I have a 97 gmc 1500, my check engine light came on, and my trans wont shift automatically, I unhooked the battery trying to reset the computer, it did, and my trans started shifting again, but then the darn light came on again, my speedo and tack arent working as well, I am taking it to a shop tommorow to see what the code is and have it erased from the computer, I hope to heck its nothing serious, I just bought the truck on april 2n
"quadman65" wrote
> Hi there,my son decided to install a stereo in his 1995 > chevolet 1500 4x4 ext cab.instead of waiting to get the > propper connections from the stereo place he cut all the wires > for the plugs that go into the factory stereo.now the tranny > won't shift.if you put it in L then shift to 2 it will shift > into 2,but if you put it in 3 or overdrive and go it is like > it is stuck in L?i got all new pins for the factory plugs and > replaced them and got the stereo working again.i thought it > was the computer so took one out of another 1995 same as my > sons and it didn't make a difference.i even put his computer > in the other truck and it worked just fine.speedomiter doesn't > work either.if anyone has any ideas it would sure appreceate > it.
Lucky me, I found out my problem was caused by a loose wire, which one I do not know, I just wraped the wires coming out of the plug taught with electrical tape and its working fine now, will have to replace a wire or more I guess soo
"astro_ss_340" wrote