Transmission slipping when hot

I have a 1985 S10 Blazer 4 wheel drive 2.8 engine and it runs great as long as the temperature gauge is below 210, but as soon as I get stuck in traffic
or on really hot hot days it seems like I'm not able to accelerate as fast as I normally can, as if the trany is slipping or maybe just not going into 3rd gear........ is this a sign of the fluid just becoming too hot or is this a sign of a sticky valve in the trany..... any ideas ........ like I said the transmission works fine as long as the temperature is cool....... I have an overdrive automatic transmission too......
I assume the temp gage is for the engine and dosn't that seem a little high? Maybe engine is derated because of heat? But how does the fluid look? burnt? change it much? On a temp note...fan clutch working properly?
. . ================ snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (don)
================ Your transmission needs to be rebuilt.
~:~ MarshMonster ~sips his shroom tea.....mmm....that's tastey~ ==============