Transmission temp on 1500HD

Hi all,

I have an 03 1500HD 4x4 LT with a 6.0L. I've had the truck 1 year (purchased new) and it now has 24,000 miles on it. I bought the truck in July. I live in Orlando FL. (typical 90 degree wheather)

Last summer my transmission temp never went above 120 degrees. I typically do highway driving in 2 wheel drive without towing anything. In the last several weeks I've noticed that my tranny temp regularly hits 180 degrees and has gone as high as 200. Again, just highway driving not pulling a load. Also, when the transmission gets that hot I there is a noticable whine at low speeds. It sounds like a garbage truck, but not quite as loud, but it's very noticable.

I took it to the dealer and they said that found an o-rinig that needed to be replaced and all should be well, but nothing has changed.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? What should I expect my tranny temp to be running in 2 wheel drive without towing or carrying a load?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I have an '04 GMC 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E trans, and my trans temp runs at 150 steadily, even pulling a 3000lb boat. Your temp sounds a little high to me. Check to make sure your tranny cooler isn't plugged with bugs or if one of the main tubes got dented or something. I would definately be concerned that your trans used to run at 120, and now all the sudden takes a big jump.

highrider

Reply to
highrider71

Tom,

I have a 2004 2500HD with the Allison tranny so I wouldn't expect ours to run the same, but frankly 180F is exactly what mine is running and has run since new. I also live in the Orlando area, and just today I drove over to Cocoa Beach and back and paid attention to the tranny temp the entire way just to verify, and it stayed rock solid at 180F for the entire trip.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

===== ===== snipped-for-privacy@micromeg.com (Tom)

[...]

you talk'n Farenheight or Celsius???

120*F CANNOT be maintained in a running, moving vehical transmission with a factory setup......especially in Orlando traffic.

Your radiator runs about 180-200*F....... and IT COOLS your tranny fluid.

00 L O

The temperature range you have now is okay, but you should put an aftermarket oil cooler on the truck to improve the cooling efficiency, especially if you are towing.

here's a site for you.....

Automatic Transmission Service and Repair - Frequently Asked Questions Address:

jest out of curiousity......... how do you KNOW what the trans temp is???

~:~ MarshMonster ~Pensacloa~ ================ ================

Reply to
Marsh Monster