Transmissioon question

Hi I have a chance to get an 88 Caprice for hauling it off from my cousin who is a wholesale dealer. It has what I assume is a 350, with a

4bbl and overdrive trans. He said it runs pretty good. Would that most ikely be a 700R4 or a 200R4? I have a use for a 700 and the price is certainly right. Thanks Larry
Reply to
lp13-30
700R4 is 4 spd OD
Reply to
Jason Sobol

Both are 4-speed overdrive transmissions.

As memory serves, if it has the 350, it most likely has the 700-R4. If it has a 305, it most likely has a 200-4R. With Chevy's, the 200-4R was put behind 3.8's, 4.3's and 5.0's, whereas the 700R4 was put behing anything bigger.

Just to be sure, find the transmission application tag (if it's still there) and find the 15-digit assembley code. If the 11th character is an "F" it a

200, if the 11th character is an "M" it's a 700.

You can also try to find the RPO code sticker in the glovebox or under the seat and look for MD8 (700R4) or MW9 (200-4R)

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

its a 700R4

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Thanks for the responses! I had glanced under the car at the trans pan when I looked at the car Sunday, and then looked at a 700 pan today and they looked the same-- and also looked at a 200 and they were way different. Also, I had asked this question here several years ago, and don.t remember the answer, but will that trans work on a 6.2 Diesel? I know the Diesel uses a 6 bolt torque converter vs 3 on the gas. What would happen with the gas converter on a Diesel? I would not be towing anything with it-- at least nothing heavy and not often. Thanks again Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

DO NOT, under any circumstances, use a 'diesel' 700R4 behind a gas engine without changing the converter and the in-pan wiring (and you should also change the valve body)

calibration and the converter are different

Reply to
TranSurgeon

TranSurgeon, thanks for the reply. However I was asking about doing the opposite-- a trans from a gas behind a Diesel engine. Thanks again Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

change converter at a minimum

stall speed on a diesel converter is way too low for a gasser

Reply to
TranSurgeon