Tricks for changing these sensors?? ECT and oil press sender W series 4.3

It would seem that there must be a trick or an easy way to replace both the engine coolant temp sensor and the oil pressure sender on my 95 Jimmy. My handy Haynes tell me to remove the bolts and take out the sensor. The problem is that the EGR, coolant hoses, tb, and intake manifold all seem to be in the way. It looks like maybe taking the serp belt off and moving the tensioner may help. Pulling the EGR looks like it may create enough room. Can it be removed without any of this nonesense?? As for the oil pressure sender - does the distributor need to come out to access this or can I get it from underneath the truck?

I look forward to any of your thoughts. Thanks and take care. Andrew.

Reply to
AWN

AWN-take the serp belt off and tensioner and you'll be able to snake it out. You shouldn't have to remove any of the 'upper' stuff(ie EGR, Coolant hoses ,etc.). It should come off from the front. If this is the hard start issue, I would do this sensor first and see if it solves your problem. The oil pressure switch is a different story. You'll never get it from underneath. From above, handy to have a special socket, I believe you can do it w/out removing the dist. but it may help. The z motors were easier to do this repair than the w -vortec's. good luck snipped-for-privacy@peru-motors.com

AWN wrote:

Reply to
blazerman

Thanks again for your continued support and concern. I dread taking that damn serp off (is that the OEM Helms manual standard for service??) because I have a stubborn tensioner for sure... Ah well... We'll so what we need to in order to get to the bottom of this one... Thanks! Andrew.

in article snipped-for-privacy@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, blazerman at snipped-for-privacy@peru-motors.com wrote on 1/22/07 9:55 PM:

Reply to
AWN

Andrew-with all the other stuff you've done the serpentine belt should'nt be too tough for you. May be 5/8th's on the adjuster(not entirely sure-have my breaker bar already set up in my tool box-use it nearly daily) but...use a breaker bar with the proper socker or if you don't have use your 3/8's or 1/2" drive ratchet with a small(one foot or so)section of pipe or copper pipe, etc. to assist you. If it gives you too much trouble maybe you have a bad tensioner. good luck-once off, you should be able to use the proper extension to get that coolant sensor out. Good luck snipped-for-privacy@peru-motors.com

AWN wrote:

Reply to
blazerman

Andrew I changed the oil press. sender on my 95 W-series S-10. I don't remember if I removed the distributor or not but I did remove the upper manifold to give more room. If the distributor does have to come out it's not too bad a job. Just mark positions. Mine was pinned in one position so timing can't be adjusted by moving the distributor and it will only go in one-way and be aligned correctly. Also it helps to have a curved dist. wrench to get the hold-down bolt loosened. You may be lucky and be able to reuse the upper manifold gasket but suggest having one located in case you need it. A few years ago the p/n was Felpro MS95818. HTH

Reply to
DonW