Trouble Bleeding Clutch

I had fun doing the one on my s10. I took the slave off, filled it with fluid, then carefully connected the hose then bolted it back in place so that when the plunger pushed back into the slave it pushed the fluid back up into the hose and pushed part of the air out. I still had to pump the pedal hundreds of times while working the bleeder valve. I found that taking the boot off around the gearshift I was able to reach the clutch bleeder from the cab.

Reply to
Eugene

I replaced the master and slave cylinders on the clutch and am having trouble getting it bled completely. Are there any tricks? Here is what I have tried so far: Open bleed valve and let fluid run out while topping off reservoir; Close valve and pump up pedal until firm pressure; Have helper depress pedal while I open valve, close valve, let off pedal.

Using this method, I went through an entire bottle of brake fluid.

Thanks for the help. Rick

Reply to
Rick Baker

. . =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net (Rick=A0Baker) wrote: . I replaced the master and slave cylinders on the clutch and am having trouble getting it bled completely.

Are there any tricks?

Here is what I have tried so far: Open bleed valve and let fluid run out while topping off reservoir; Close valve and pump up pedal until firm pressure; Have helper depress pedal while I open valve, close valve, let off pedal.

Using this method, I went through an entire bottle of brake fluid.

Thanks for the help. Rick =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Rick, are you still getting air out of the system while you're bleeding it?

You stated that you can pump the pedal up till you get firm pressure, if you walk away from the truck and go back a little while later....is the pedal still firm?

Here's the only trick I know of on bleeding out a new slave and master on a Chevy.....

(at the slave cyl..keeping master full of fluid) (using SLOW brake pedal strokes)

open bleeder........mash pedal....close bleeder repeat repeat repeat

pump up pedal....open bleeder....close bleeder when pedal is on the floor. repeat repeat repeat

look inside the master cyl. resevoir while someone slowly strokes the pedal up and down. Be sure you see no air bubbles comeing to the surface of the fluid.

If you are still getting air after this, you need to double check the integrity of the system. The lines, fittings, slave, and master.

If you are not getting "any" air, you need to take a second and consider the possibility that the clutch set is worn out, the fork is flexing on apply, the pedal or Z-bar under the dash are flexing.

You should also take a look at the fork while someone applies the pedal........ If you have a firm pedal with little or no play before the fork starts to apply .....then you need to look elsewhere for the problem.

let us know,

hopefully helpfull, MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster