Troubleshooting Air Conditioner ('99 Tahoe)

Howdy folks! It's getting a tad warm down here in Texas and it's time I got my A/C fixed. If I turn the A/C on it blows, but doesn't blow cool air. I discovered the compressor wasn't activating. So I checked the charge in the system (using one of the bottles and guages from the auto parts store) the freon was low and I charged it up; compressor wouldn't activate. I've swapped the pressor switch out with a new one, and the compressor still won't activate.

If I by-pass the pressure switch (with a trusty paperclip) the compressor does run (though the blowing air never cools).

Is there anything to try before replacing the compressor and evaporator and everything??

Thanks, Christian

Reply to
CBMcarthur

Hi, I just signed on to this site. let see here you filled up to the green zone on your gauge and it wouldn't work, Did you check the wire plug on the compressor itself as it sometime not getting contact there, and check the ground too when there also you can use a jumper wire to ground as I sometime had seen the ground wire goes bad somewhere back to the dash. ground it to the metal somewhere. also check to see if you got power to the compressor and also to the pressure switch. You can bypass the switch but leaving it on all the time would build up pressure in the system and vent out the freon, burn out the compressor and so on. The bypass is for testing only. Check your fuses and relays as these can be bad also or blown. You can check the fuse with a meter but the relay you may not unless you know how it work and able to set it up somehow to check for it working. I rather replace the relay to be on the safe side as these have little coils inside them which can short out. You can also check the compressor using jumper wires too but be sure not to leave it on too long as it will heat up the coil behind the clutch as it act like a magnet to compress the clutchs together on the pulley to turn. These are pretty much basic things to check for. If you used defroster in winter, the compressor will turn on from time to time to lube up the system itself inside unless the freon is low and would not turn on the pressure switch. I hope these would help you getting it to work. Whtblazer(Jeffrey)

Reply to
Whtblazer

Hi Jeffrey - I've read some of your new posts. Here's a tip: Click on tools, options and under the send tab, check the box to include message in reply. We see your post but not the original. Next you should munge your email address. The newsgroups have robots to harvest emails for spam and yours is out there. Even though most folks consider a webmail a throw away, you shouldn't give a leg up to the spammers.

Reply to
George