truck break in questions

i just picked up my 04 silverado z71 5-3 litre last week and asked the dealer what type of break in would the truck require and he said just drive it they
way you always drive and change the oil at 3000 mi..someone told me not to do steady speeds on highway till 500mi i was planning on a oil change at 500 mi should i bother?
You don't want to run it too easily or the piston liners will glaze and not bed the rings in. Piston liners are machined with a pattern a bit like on a butchers steel that rubs the piston rings and hone the rings untill they fit well and seal. So run it along at normal use, don't let it idle much until 100 Miles or so have been reached, it's best to turn it off at lights rather than Idle ebfore 100 miles.
rhys

dealer
they
do
mi
RE/

Howcome?
--
PeteCresswell

Idling with unseated piston rings the speed of the piston going up and down isn't really enough to hone the rings to shape, they just wear the ridging off the inside of the cylinder lining.
If you ever get a new cylinder sleeve from a relineing job, where they bore the cyliner out, then tap it and screw down a new cylinder sleeve the same diamerter of the original engine specs, have a look at the inner side of the sleeve, it's slightly ridged where it rubs the new rings to fit.
rhys

and down

ridging
Hone the rings?? Ridging? Cylinder lining? Has mechanical technology really taken this quantum leap? I mean the rings now guide the piston and not the skirts, or the cylinder bore? Yikes :-I

they bore

the same

side of

Whaaat?! So what you are saying, it seems to me is: everything rides on the performance and/or mechanics and/or physics of the rings. To me thats rediculous and just plain bullshite. If there is a grain of truth to that, we're all in big trouble. Either salesmen are going to have to take every new rig out and make sure none of them idle before a hundred miles, or the techs are going to be awfully buzy tearing these engines down aren't they. How they going to get out of the friggin lot?
Hatt
I've never heard of a small cube, small block that uses piston liners. Now, the diesels I work on everyday have replaceable liners.......

down
bore

500

on
usenet.
'Exactly right' ....... Sam Elliot as Wade Garret in 'Roadhouse'
"Dave Brower" wrote

usenet.
One of many.....oh well....there will be an unusually high incidence of engines being shut off at traffic lights for the next week or so.
Ian
Read your owner's manual. It tells you exactly how to break it in. Keep it under 55 mph, don't drive at any 1 speed , don't make full throttle starts and don't tow a trailer for the first 500 miles. As far as oil, I drained mine at 3000 miles even though it still had about 65% life left according to the DIC. It was solid black and had metal shavings stuck to the magnet on the end of the drain plug. Then I put in Mobile 1 synthetic.

dealer
they
do
mi

I like that magnet idea. I'll have to look for an aftermarket or make it happen some how.
-The Lonely Grease Monkey 1985' K5 305CUI TH700R4 NP203 KJ's successor
"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson
RE/

Check the one you've got. My '98's has a magnet.
--
PeteCresswell

Read the signature, my 85' has a stick stuck in the drain plug. Not really, but it's just a plain ole' bolt....
-The Lonely Grease Monkey 1985' K5 305CUI TH700R4 NP208 KJ's successor
"Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, then he who believes what is a wrong." - Thomas Jefferson

the
drive it

me not to

at 500