Truck broken into Tonight

Someone tried to steal my truck tonight. Broke or punched in the passenger side door lock and mutilated the ignition key assembly. I will have to get it toed to the garage tomorrow as it wont even allow the key to go into the damaged slot.

Anyone have any good deterrents to the wreched little pukes that steal what others work for? I don't want to put this through insurance as they will no doubt increase my rates over the next few years to recover their losses and more.

Any input is appreciated,

Blair

Reply to
Blair

Sounds like this person is a real amateur. My neighborhood is seeing more crimes lately so I've decided to take action to try to keep them from hitting me. I've installed dusk-to-dawn floodlights around my house and I leave a couple of interior lights on at night. I never leave anything in plain sight in my vehicles and I don't have a daily routine that anyone can "latch" onto. So far, I haven't had any problems. If you park in a publc area, try to park under or near a streetlight; thieves like to work in the dark.

Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Wed, Apr 12, 2006, 2:20am From: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca (Blair) Someone tried to steal my truck tonight. Broke or punched in the passenger side door lock and mutilated the ignition key assembly. I will have to get it toed to the garage tomorrow as it wont even allow the key to go into the damaged slot. Anyone have any good deterrents to the wreched little pukes that steal what others work for? I don't want to put this through insurance as they will no doubt increase my rates over the next few years to recover their losses and more. Any input is appreciated, Blair

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Sometimes, when you're up to your butt in alligators, it's hard to remember that the intial objective was to drain the swamp." ~ Unknown ~

Reply to
Rich B

might want to at least file a police report....

When they got my sound system, I wasn't going to report it... $250 deductible and a $300 stereo...

Decided to at least turn in a police report and the cop showed me a little dent/hole between the door skin and the part of the lock that the key goes in.... They were real slick... used a screwdriver and rubber mallet to force the blade between the lock and door and break lose the locking rod or whatever... Bottom line... the insurance covered the stereo, minus the deductible and they also paid the $400 to fix the door and do the body work on it..

Mac

mac davis

Blair,

Shotguns work great for this sort of thing, of course that's not practicle or realistic... get yourself a kill switch, wire it into the ignition, and hide it up under the vehicle somewhere... turn it OFF every time you park the vehicle... It won't stop them from breaking in, but it will stop them from driving away.

Reply to
websurfer

Got an alarm and a club. Hope I'm not going to have to do this again.

Thanks to all,

Blair

Reply to
Blair

good plan... when the alarm goes off, grab the club and hit the sucker upside the head.. *g*

Mac

mac davis

That's my plan. To hit him repeatedly!

Thanks.